Narrow, Handheld Hone Set

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

Narrow, Handheld Hone Set

Post by matt321 »

Expensive, but wouldn't these Edge-Pro mounted Chocera stones make a cool, palm-held hone set for straight razor sharpening?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/chedpro7pa.html

Last edited by matt321 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

$200 for a set of six? Sounds quite reasonable to me, but I don't know if they are any good on razors. Might be wise to hold off a bit since there could be something coming along....

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Matt,

That's not bad at all. I haven't sourced other sites but I wouldn't mind paying that much. My Super Naniwa was ~115 for both 5k and 8k. But these are bit pricey to begin with.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Well Chocera is Naniwa's next step up from the superstones. A full sized Chocera 10K is over two hundred dollars.

This set is an aftermarket product made by slicing up full sized Chocera stones into 1"x6" wafers ~1/8" thick and gluing them to aluminum mounting strips. So yes they are much less expensive than full sized hones, but you only get a thin wafer. On the other hand, narrow hones are good for warps, twists, and smiles!

I have a load of hones so I'm not buying, but I just thought this was a cool option.

I'm interested in future product rumors though. 8)
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

drmoss_ca wrote:$200 for a set of six? Sounds quite reasonable to me, but I don't know if they are any good on razors. Might be wise to hold off a bit since there could be something coming along....

Chris
This sounds interesting.
-Stephen
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

It's only $175 if you don't buy the plates.

I thought long and hard about buying a few of the stones many months ago but I passed. I just couldn't get over the thickness. I hone too many razors to be OK with 3.2 mm or 1/8 in.
barbiere

Post by barbiere »

Chris,

In your Sunday, June 6 post you mentioned that you honed some Henckels with two new hones.

You finished off with"Don't ask,can't tell.

Now, "there could be something coming along"

Can you reveal how long before that something might appear?

Jerry
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This year if all goes well.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

drmoss_ca wrote:This year if all goes well.

Chris
Time is running out. 8)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It ain't up to me. The engineer running the project left the company, but it has now started up again.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Please, when the time comes, and the veil of secrecy is lifted, remember to let us know.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

What would be nice would be a reasonably priced system with the power and uniformity of synthetics and the edge taming properties of high-end naturals.
Life2short1971

Post by Life2short1971 »

I have the Nani Superstones and for the money they are a great value. I use 1k,3/8k,and 12k. and whatever natural finisher I might like to to top it off with. On the Chosera you can also get them alf thickness also for slightly more than half cost which when you get to the 10k is a large savings. Even with a half thick fullsize Chosera you would need to use it daily for years to wear it out and using it all day long.
Scott