Source for diamond spray?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Source for diamond spray?

Post by brothers »

Guys, please point me in the direction of diamond sprays in the neighborhood of $20 apiece, where there's no minimum order. I only need two. Seems that a few of the spots I've looked at either want around $40 to $50 each, or have a minimum order of $50. I don't want three, and I don't want to overpay. It seems that the places that have them in my price range are only offering them in the larger grits. I'm buying .25 and .50. Where do you find yours?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

Star Shaving Supplies on Ebay has some for roughly $30 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-Slurry-Spra ... 1c129d1701

I have several strops ordered from him, and he is pleasure to do business with, and more than willing to answer any questions.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can get the syringes (as opposed to the sprays) in both of my preferred grit sizes at Classic Shaving for less than $20 apiece, so here's my question. I've got a hard felt bench strop and a smooth leather bs. I'm thinking the spray is a more efficient and frugal way to apply just the right amount in just the right pattern. Would it be as efficient and economical to squirt out a bunch of little drops on the felt? How would it get distributed, because it's not like leather where you can add a bit of a carrier fluid and rub the little drops around. Seems that it's going to soak into the felt in the highly concentrated areas where the drops landed, and not get evenly distributed. What do you think?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

The spray works great on felt. You just spray it on like a mist. (The spray caps tend to get funky after a while and quit working.)

I've never used the syringe but I assume it would not work as well on felt. I think I'm just repeating what you've said here.

When comparing costs it makes sense to compare the carat weight of the diamond product as I'm sure you know.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt, there are a couple of places I've found the spray in a 6 carat container. They're the guys with the minimum orders which will make we have to buy 3. Should I go ahead and spring for a 3rd one in maybe a duplicate of one of the two I'm lookin at, or should I bump it up and get the 1 micron? Is the 1 micron spray necessary?
Gary

matt321

Post by matt321 »

Gee, I don't know.
I have experience with just the 0.5 spray from here:
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/ind ... cts_id=895

The info I found said to spray on a light mist coating on the felt (maybe about 4 to 8 pumps from a distance). Let that dry, and then mist it again. Repeating a few times. Don't get close and make puddles because that will cause the felt to swell. When you strop there should be a little dust residue on the razor. One application should last for a dozen or so razors.

My experience is limited, but I could tell the diamond on felt works. The felt begins to turn black after several uses. It hasn't been a panacea for me, but it has helped in some cases. I have also been using the spray on a spyderco UF hone as described here:

http://www.wetshavingworld.com/forums/s ... rhone-quot
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Matt. I thought I had looked at SRD already, but I had not. I must have become confused with some of the TI Bio-Diam high dollar stuff over at Custom Shaving. Anyway, SRD is where I should have gone in the beginning. Looks like they have both of the grits I'm looking for, in the handy dandy spray bottle. 4 ounces seems pretty generous. I appreciate your help.
Gary