how do I buy an antique razor?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
function

Post by function »

SiR-ed8 wrote:Nick,

I could be wrong but the it looks like it's been re-pinned at the pivot as well as centre pin.
Interesting, I'd have no idea what is original, but there definitely
is an indentation where you mentioned.

Looking at the center and hinge pins, they both appear to have been "tapped" with a hand tool, and by that I mean there is a tiny flat surface that tells me it was installed by hand or a crude machine.

The blade "swings" with a bit of tension, not freely, and the hinge pin is set in the scales a little bit, not resting on top of them.

With regards to the center pin, it is sheathed in a black cylinder, but the shoulder/shaft does not rest on this cylinder, but instead the part of the blade where it expands in to the spine rests on the end of the scales. Not sure if this is normal or not as this is my first straight.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

function wrote:

I could be wrong but the it looks like it's been re-pinned at the pivot as well as centre pin.
Interesting, I'd have no idea what is original, but there definitely
is an indentation where you mentioned.

Looking at the center and hinge pins, they both appear to have been "tapped" with a hand tool, and by that I mean there is a tiny flat surface that tells me it was installed by hand or a crude machine.

The blade "swings" with a bit of tension, not freely, and the hinge pin is set in the scales a little bit, not resting on top of them.

With regards to the center pin, it is sheathed in a black cylinder, but the shoulder/shaft does not rest on this cylinder, but instead the part of the blade where it expands in to the spine rests on the end of the scales. Not sure if this is normal or not as this is my first straight.
They were peened by hand.

It's supposed to have the black sleeve. At least my Special 1 does.

You threw me off at the last part there.
SiR-ed8

Stay away from commercial shaving forums

Post by SiR-ed8 »

BTW, I implore you stay away from commercial forums with 20k members and the like.

While I'm neither friends nor enemies with the poster he does make some valid points-though seemingly biased it's quite subjective and nonetheless true:

Historical amnesia, or why LSD and scale making do not mix well

It's all about the love of razors, or Marketeering for Restoration Dummies

A case against straight shaving forums, or why obsessive-compulsive disorders are nothing to be proud of

Kill your idols or, don't believe the hype
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ivan,
The server hosting the links you posted isn't responding, which might be as well as if the site is dedicated, as you seem to hint, to denigrating SRP.

May I remind you that we don't tolerate the bashing of other forums here?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Ivan,
The server hosting the links you posted isn't responding, which might be as well as if the site is dedicated, as you seem to hint, to denigrating SRP.

May I remind you that we don't tolerate the bashing of other forums here?

Chris
Chris,

Merely emphasizing what you said in the other thread Want to buy and learn how to use a Straight:
drmoss_ca wrote:Yes, they are free. All it takes is for Vince or one of the admins or mods to have used them and be able to vouch for them. The only money SMF makes is from the PayPal button, which is voluntary. You might discern that we run at a loss.
I can list many reputable vendors of straight razors, but I don't choose to send business publicly to one over another, in my capacity as admin here. Ask me privately, and I will tell all.
I'm not trying to start any argument here; I'm simply pointing out that we are utterly non-commercial, and proud of it. :D

Chris
In my experience, the smaller based community forums generally are in unison and cohesive by nature. Not propagating one vendor to another.
Though I've been on larger forums in 100k range it proved to be precarious if not disastrous at best.

To answer your question that is not me wrote it but their very own moderator or X-mod I should say speaking against large shaving forums and what not.

A lot of great info can be accessed and does not need to come from large forums or from someone thought to be a god because he is self-professed "honemeister."

Smaller sites and tight communities like this one are much more enjoyable to be in than clique advertising on behalf of vendors in just about every post. Forums like this as well as few other foster camaraderie and more.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Chris,

Essentially the points he touched was for instance if you're brand new SR user it doesn't help there are people out there encouraging the latest and greatest razor with conchos and purple micarta. When all you need is a couple razors: one for benchmark and another for use and compare to.

Further if I was a vendor and promoted myself it significantly increases my chances of sales for I too am a mod. If one of my cronies doesn't like or approve of a new vendor I'll ban them without just cause because I have access to the "Ban" button.

Which leads me to there's really no sense in advertising when you've a cult following who worships the very ground you walk on spit your name out on ever unsuspecting individual.

I refer people but don't go over board.

That's what I'm essentially explaining to Nick. Stick with the basics and don't allow himself to be clouded with all the fancy scales whored out by the many. For lack of better word.

With regards to Dubl Duck, there's nothing special about them. I've better razors than mine but these things can easily go for 200-300 ( Wonderedge or Goldedge ) because a "honemeister" claimed it was a "good" shaving razor no less.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The post you are reading was initially quite a long one.

I have edited out the parts that may have caused trouble for myself and others in the future, and kept only the good & useful parts.

:wink:
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Nick,

Though not in same condition as yours take note of the pinning on 4th picture down HERE
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

notthesharpest wrote:The post you are reading was initially quite a long one.

I have edited out the parts that may have caused trouble for myself and others in the future, and kept only the good & useful parts.

:wink:

function

Post by function »

Though not in same condition as yours take note of the pinning on 4th picture down HERE
Thanks for that link Ivan. It seems to confirm your suspicion of re-pinning, the hinge and center pins on the ebay razor are different than the same pins on my razor. The pins on the ebay razor, and the "end" pin on my razor, have a ring in the pin, and my suspected replaced pins do not. Considering the condition of the blade, especially the intact gold coating on the tang of the razor, could I be looking at a factory replaced blade?
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Not sure about factory replaced. I reckon the old scales were replaced by its owner for it may have been warped or cracked....

Honestly you can tighten the pivot pin if used ball peen hammer to gently tap it thus eliminating free play.

If you want you can de-pin it which isn't overly difficult. It just takes time.

FWIW, I have few pre-owned SRs that are loose at the pivot and not as nice and tightly centred when closed.

Believe it or not I received a Dovo from a vendor with such a loose pivot with uneven pinning. The other Dovo was fine.

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

function wrote:Thanks for that link Ivan. It seems to confirm your suspicion of re-pinning, the hinge and center pins on the ebay razor are different than the same pins on my razor. The pins on the ebay razor, and the "end" pin on my razor, have a ring in the pin, and my suspected replaced pins do not. Considering the condition of the blade, especially the intact gold coating on the tang of the razor, could I be looking at a factory replaced blade?
It's easy to suspect that the scales were damaged when the blade still had ultra low (or zero) mileage, and they were repaired or replaced. Whether that repair was done inside the factory or out is no longer important - just whether it's good work.
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

The Dubl Duck looks good. You can pm people or ask with a thread.