Want to buy and learn how to use a Straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, they are free. All it takes is for Vince or one of the admins or mods to have used them and be able to vouch for them. The only money SMF makes is from the PayPal button, which is voluntary. You might discern that we run at a loss.
I can list many reputable vendors of straight razors, but I don't choose to send business publicly to one over another, in my capacity as admin here. Ask me privately, and I will tell all.
I'm not trying to start any argument here; I'm simply pointing out that we are utterly non-commercial, and proud of it. :D

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Yes, they are free. All it takes is for Vince or one of the admins or mods to have used them and be able to vouch for them. The only money SMF makes is from the PayPal button, which is voluntary. You might discern that we run at a loss.
I can list many reputable vendors of straight razors, but I don't choose to send business publicly to one over another, in my capacity as admin here. Ask me privately, and I will tell all.
I'm not trying to start any argument here; I'm simply pointing out that we are utterly non-commercial, and proud of it. :D

Chris
That's what keeps me coming back. Whereas other sub-par forums play favourites and even endorse their own store. Or have to worry about speaking my mind about a vendor and later get a PM saying "Hey you can't endorse that vendor..."

At least not yet anyway ;)

I don't agree with some of the vendors posted here by others but to each his own.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

GA Russell wrote:Well, Chris, if the links on the home page to vendors' sites aren't sponsorships, what are they? Free?

Notwithstanding, is there a merchant or two more respected by the straight shavers here?
After having horrendous experienced by one of the vendors posted on main page, I decided then I will no longer deal with any vendors regarding razors but instead ebay. The latter of course is precarious at best but I'd much rather spend $20-$100 on pre-owned razor than risk having one sent to me that's unevenly pinned, loose pivot with uneven spine wear and top it off with lying to me about honing a razor that clearly wasn't.

Both Brad ( undream )and Quinton ( cedarfurnitureman ) are top restorers with excellent provided services. You should see the scales Brad makes.

With regards to other sellers, I bought a razor from JimR at his site and shipping was fast.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

I'd take Chris up on that offer for a razor, can't lose there!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

looking back at my str8 adventure, i would suggest getting two str8's and have one on its way to the hone meister while using the other. it would be less costly while you are deciding if you like str8's. you'll need two because you can easily ruin an edge by simple stroping and t can get labor intensive constantly honing.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I think you just dive in. Get a hone (coticule is nice, because it sharpens and finishes, or even a norton 4k/8k), get a hanging strop, get a good basic razor like a dovo, and learn all of it.

There is a growth curve but you will conquer it, and you will learn to hone and strop while learning to shave, and you'll start to see how the edge and experience interrelate. And yep you will be honing all the time at first because you won't get the edge right or you'll bust it with bad stropping, but in a few weeks you'll know how to hone, strop and shave with a straight.
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

What he said.
And take Chris up on his razor offer. Definitely. He has a collection of hones no doubt to make most of us turn a little green.
Since you already have the offer of a free razor...all you need is a strop to keep it in tune, 40 bucks.
Later on, get a hone (Norton 4k/8k used to be all the rage on the forums, and it does still work, even though more refined edges are possible perhaps) an old razor in decent shape and practice using directions here making it as much like the one Chris sends as possible. When you can keep your old beater razor as sharp as the one from Chris...you're in business. Happens quicker than you'd think.
I doubt you will regret it but I'm a bit biased.

John P.