Want to buy and learn how to use a Straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Marsom

Want to buy and learn how to use a Straight

Post by Marsom »

Hello,

I would like a recommendation on buying my first real straight. I pretty much know how to shave with the feather straights, but I got rid of it due to irritation. I have no idea on how to hone, strop, or what is even needed to maintain and keep a good straight shaving closely. Any recommendations?

Best,
M
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Marsom,

You've an advantage in that you've handles Feather SR's. As they say it's not as forgiving.

These are known to be good reliable razors:

Boker
Cadman & Sons
Clauss
Dorko
Dovo
Dubl Duck
Filarmonica
Genco
Geneva
George Wostenholm
Henckels
Joseph Rodgers
King
Maher & Grosh
Puma
Revisor
Robeson
Shumate
Thiers-Issard
Torrey Razor
W. Greaves & Son
Wade & Butcher

Furthermore, majority of old school vintage razors that were forged in England, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy, Japan and the US are known to be good. Razors stamped "Solingen" that were actually forged in Solingen are good as well. Truth be told these razors tend to be much cheaper in price but still hold same quality and some have reported them to be "better" than new razors out there.

An otherwise well-known or rather infamous razor are Double Arrows and Gold Dollars. I have the latter. This has garnered heated debate over one forum. I have further conduct several shaves with the sets I have to make sound decision but one thing though is my GD's have uneven grinds, shoulders, uneven pinning and couple have their heel butt out from scale. I haven't noticed anything else. But honing I've no difficulties thus far.

Ebay would be good to start once you know what to look for.
Besides that these are 2 reliable ebayers I get my razor from:
Cedarfurnitureman AKA Quinton and Laney

Undream AKA Brad

Speaking of, Brad is member of Shaveready just look for his restorations on the straight razor forum you'll see them there.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Don't overly spend on SRs for you might feel it's not your cup of tea. I reckon you might have more control over straight since it's not unbelievably "too sharp" vs Feather-so they say. I've never tried Feather razors.

I lucked out on classifieds and got couple for $35. Sometimes your local antiques may have one even cheaper but be mindful as well.

Some razors tend to have pitting, rusts that can be repaired by restorers for new SR users it's generally advised against. Some oxidation isn't bad on blade if you have MAAS or Mother's turtlewax and what not.

I started with 5/8 Roundpoint razor. These as well as 6/8 are generally recommended for new.

Also only shaved the side burns and once I got comfortable I moved on to the entire face once I was able to map out the areas.

Preparation is key from skin stretching, nice brush, good lather and razor. You can have the best tools but if any of the above is missing or combination of-the shave won't be as pleasant as it should.
SiR-ed8

Shops

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Gary at shoeboxshaveshop

Myriad of products. If you're looking for starter brush you might want to look at an Omega he's got ton of them as well as Boreal, Koh-I-Noor, Vulfix.

If you want badger he's the only vendor to carry an entire line of Simpsons brushes not just the "favourites". He has Omega and Vulfix as well. If you like synthetic then you can opt for Syntex brushes. So whether you're boar/badger/synthetic type you can't go wrong.

Irena ( soapbuddy ) from Ginger's Garden - whether cream or soap you can't go wrong. It's glycerine based. Although Irena's been working on Tallow soaps. I haven't the chance to ask her for few weeks ago she said she had some curing on the rack.

BTW, you can have Irena do custom soaps or creams for you. Just specify on the notes section. She has huge scentlist on her site.

John at Ogallala Bay Rum

June ( Nana June ) from NanaJunes Naturals soaps are glycerin based.

Olivia Seifeher soap/creams are top notch! Bayrum cream left my skin moisturized for well over 24 hrs

Her soaps of the various I've tried are simply exquisite! You can definitely tell it from the rest of manufacturers and other soap proprietors.
Also they kill the "funk" scent we've come to know and love.

Olivia's WM series soaps are glycerine based and the rest are tallow IIRC. I like the Sarubia it has this fresh forest scent. I don't know how to describe but really really intoxicating like everything else.

One other cream I like is Dark Rhassoul. It's like sweet vanilla on Christmas morning. Very nice subdued scent. Not overpowering.
It makes you want to eat them. Really! Don't take my word for it though. You just have to try it.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Regarding the soaps: the original poster has been shaving very well for, umm, quite a while now. :lol: I think for the advice we can safely stick to straight razors. :wink:
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Overly enthusiastic my friend Image
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Ivan, you're a whirlwind!!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marion, So....you're finally chiming in with this, eh? It's taken awhile ( chuckle ). Didn't work out well for me, but best of luck. Seems to be going along nicely for Ravi.
Regards,
Gordon
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Yeah, I've got a good deal of experience regarding brushes and preps at this point. In fact, that's an area I'm not interested in fooling around with too much as I'm pretty set in what works for me. I honestly, have no real reason to switch from the DE to the straight other than I always wanted to learn how to use and maintain a traditional razor. Seems like it would be a good thing to know how to do. Then you don't have to worry if your favourite DE blade is getting discontinued, etc...

Gordon,

Yeah, I'm probably going to give it a go at some point. The cost of the hones, strops, pastes, etc... will probably be the reason why I don't immediately jump on it, but I think I eventually will for the sake of just being curious and interested, not for better shaves.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If your interest really is in honing etc, then yes it gets expensive. There's also the possibility of finding someone else to do the major maintenance work when required, and do only the stropping yourself. Expensive in a different way I guess.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

notthesharpest wrote:If your interest really is in honing etc, then yes it gets expensive. There's also the possibility of finding someone else to do the major maintenance work when required, and do only the stropping yourself. Expensive in a different way I guess.
That's the route I planning on taking for the time being - but I do want to learn to do it on my own... just doesn't feel manly if I contract it out!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marion, Well, those were basically the reasons that I gave it a whirl also. But it was also why I wasn't motivated enough to just keep at it despite the issues I was having. It was just too easy to simply go back to using the DE. I really do believe that it's harder to make the switch if one has been using a DE for years and years as compared to a shaver who has only been using one briefly, or is coming to straights directly from cartridges. But everyone's experiance is at least a little different so it may go smooth as silk for you.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Back in "the day", did every man hone his own razor at home, a razor hone in every house, or did a lot of men take their razor to someone else (a neighbour, the barber, whoever)?

My dad never honed his Ronson electric. :?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, I gather that it depended on personal preference....and, where one lived. Obviously, out in the boondocks gents had little choice but to hone their own razor as best they could. Of course, in the sticks many gents had experiance sharpening various implements anyway. No doubt, some were better at it than others. In more built-up areas there was more choice. There was a gent on this board who, when he was of age, was taught to shave right off the bat with a cutthroat razor by his dad's barber at Trumpers. Trumper had been the dad's barber for decades and when needed he simply dropped his razor(s) off there to be honed. The man had been shaving with straights his whole life and had never honed one himself. That's the other extreme.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

David, when I was young (early 1950s) It was common for the farmers to be shaved once a week by the local barber. This was both practical and social for them as they were going to town on Saturday anyway and the barber shop was the source for local news. Women may gossip but the men only discussed 'news'.

These old boys could sharpen anything but most arose before dawn and there was too much work to be done to spend time shaving.
Regards,
Squire
Bay Run

Post by Bay Run »

I can put you in touch with someone who can sell you a reliable razor cheap as well as all the other necessaties. PM me if interested.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

a basic dovo is a nice place to start.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Among the retailers which sponsor SMF, is there one or two whose service for straights really stands out?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There may well be vendors who have pressed the PayPal button to help Vince pay for the new dedicated server, Just as I, and I hope, you, have done. I don't think there are any vendors that we can say 'sponsor' SMF. We are rather touchily proud of our non-commercial nature, which sets us far apart from certain other sites.

And just to prove it, Marion, if you are serious in your desire, send me a PM and I'll send you a free razor.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Well, Chris, if the links on the home page to vendors' sites aren't sponsorships, what are they? Free?

Notwithstanding, is there a merchant or two more respected by the straight shavers here?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed