After 32 Years

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

After 32 Years

Post by matt321 »

I packed away my razors and brushes except for a few to use for the next week or so. We packed all our other stuff as well. We are moving to a different town. We have been in this house for 32 years.

So, I feel like a shrub being pulled from the soil. I underestimated the emotional impact of all this. I feel sad and happy at the same time! :shock:

8) Played this several times today and decided it fits the mood nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMX8PwpKdTU
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

where are you going? we do imprint on our surroundings somehow. Sometimes I'll be somewhere I haven't been in years and fwush! i get all these memories flooding back and it feels like I'm back in the past for a moment, as my mood jumps back to where I was at when I was there before.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

We are moving to a small town about 50 miles east of Houston.

We are in Galveston now. Moved here in 1974.
SiR-ed8

Congratulations

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Matt,

Congratulations on the move and may you and family enjoy many more years at new home.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what ivan said

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

forgot to ask: while packing away did you come across stuff that made you ask: w(here)tf and w(hy)tf did I but that??

:lol:

clive
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Yes. 32 years of junk! :x
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Moving can be cleansing -- don't toss any shaving gear, though!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
matt321

Post by matt321 »

OK, so last night we broke the news of our departure to my wife's dearest friend in our old location. The remainder of the evening she looked like we had stabbed her in the back, and we felt like we had too. :(
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

pack neighbor in box and take her with haha

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

matt321 wrote:OK, so last night we broke the news of our departure to my wife's dearest friend in our old location. The remainder of the evening she looked like we had stabbed her in the back, and we felt like we had too. :(
My parents felt the same way when we left my home town 30 years ago for work. I was the black sheep (thus my attraction to MWF, perhaps?) and only a couple of years ago was accepted back into the family fold. People can be really harsh when they feel they have been betrayed - especially when you move away from friends you have known for so long.

Best of luck with the move.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I found when I moved from Boston to Pittsburgh I ended up being better firends with some of my Boston friends, because when I was back in town we got together and spent quality time together. So you can still spend good time with your old friends, particularly with all this technology we have now, and just appreciate the time more when you can hang out.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

fallingwickets wrote:pack neighbor in box and take her with haha

clive
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Once you get everything unpacked - things will start feeling better - you'll have new friends and neighbours in addition to the old in no time!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Thanks for the support. It helps. 8)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not that I don't want to feel supportive, but I'm wondering why this thread is in the straight razor forum? Tell you what, just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy, I'll leave it here (but you would get more readers and more sympathy in the Gentleman's Parlor. I know - there's a better quality of reader and sympathy among fellow straight shavers, right? :wink: )

Studies in which various life events are ranked show that moving house is as traumatic as losing a job or getting divorced. Wow. Hope you survive!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Not that I don't want to feel supportive...

Careful, I'm feeling very fragile you know! :wink:
Point well taken (and expected) but I was shooting for maximum warm and fuzzy, so I posted here where I am most comfy!
druphus

Post by druphus »

matt321 wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:Not that I don't want to feel supportive...

Careful, I'm feeling very fragile you know! :wink:
Point well taken (and expected) but I was shooting for maximum warm and fuzzy, so I posted here where I am most comfy!
What you are saying is you don't want sympathy from the DE wimps! :)
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, you're only going 50 miles, and you're still in God's Country (as I refer to anything south of the Mason Dixon line). Please, no offense to anyone intended. I can't take cold weather. My wife and I have our best memories of a short stay (mililtary training) in southern Arizona, and if it wasn't for our immediate family who all live right here, and the fact that we both have jobs to do and bills to pay (Oklahoma City), we'd be out in the desert sun right now. From the human side, I dearly love the independence of all Texans and all Arizonans, particularly at this point in time. (another topic, another location!)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

So this morning we packed more boxes and arranged things for the move. I set a dusty box over with the trash pile. Later my wife opened it and found anniversary cards that we had exchanged over the last 37 years. :shock:

Not good! More angst! I won't know how bad it is till she starts talking to me again.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Movers come in the morning at 8:30. Boxes are prepared. I'll be off net for a while till dsl is re-established.

Wife's mood is reaching critical! :shock:

Last shave here will will be tonight with MWF + the Dovo Special.