Are they nuts?!?!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
a-cut-above

Are they nuts?!?!

Post by a-cut-above »

Here is a picture from the Martin de Candre website advertising a razor and brush stand for sale. "Servant for Shaving Brush and Razor" it's called. Let's see, the marketing staff, the advertising agency, the photographer, and the executives who approved the ad know nothing about shaving gear. Maybe the French have such soft whiskers, or tough faces, they can store razors this way. At €34/~$46, the soap might be so good you don't even need a sharp blade. Think of all the money you would save shaving with a Super Speed and a three year-old blade.
As we said in Brooklyn, "Youz gotta be kiddin' me."

Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Good Lord!....too weird for words. Well, some say that the French do...a...view things differently.....?....
Regards.
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

But the French do know how to make a decent straight (ie use Sheffield steel (ducks)). That photo is simply poseurisme.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

That is hilarious! I'd like to see a picture of them showing how to hold the razor when shaving.....OW!
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: poseurisme
I about died laughing when I saw this word.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

drmoss_ca wrote:......... That photo is simply poseurisme.

Chris
Maybe, but I think you are being too kind. In the context of an ad for an expensive, luxurious, sophistication-oozing product, I see this more as a gaffe. To show off, the handle with an open blade could have been inserted into the holder, the tang hopefully keeping the edge from contacting the holder. Let's see, well meaning wife, S.O., or offspring buys Daddy a new holder for Father's Day and sets up a "surprise" for Daddy to show off his new gift, based on this photo. :shock: Daddy does his best to act pleased and surprised........as he contemplates an evening of resetting the edge and honing.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

EL Alamein wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote: poseurisme
I about died laughing when I saw this word.
That's my word of the day!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

"Ha ha!" - Nelson Muntz
desertbadger

Re: Are they nuts?!?!

Post by desertbadger »

a-cut-above wrote: "Youz gotta be kiddin' me."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave, you're right. It's been a long time since I've sharpened/honed a STR8, but after seeing that, GREAT SCOTT! If SWMBO or one of the offspring bought it as a suprise gift for me, I would find it difficult to not hide my being "surprised"!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

The usual for advertising. As an angler I've often seen the most unbelievable rod and reel combinations, and the classic, spinning reel held upside down, countless times.

Looks like a DE stand they shoehorned a straight into.
John
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Hawkeye5 wrote:.........Looks like a DE stand they shoehorned a straight into.
"Honey, here's a new butter knife. It has scales. Isn't is nice?"
Dave

ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

There should be a French book with title "How to chip a razor in ten minutes" :)