Honed A New Razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
AxelH

Honed A New Razor

Post by AxelH »

Well, I honed up a "new" razor (had it since 2008). It took awhile but was worth it (of course). It's about 5/8ths, muted square-tip. "A. Witte" below that "New York" and made in Germany (manufacturer unknown).

Set bevel and honed up from Norton 220 up to 8,000, then the Spyderco Ultra-Fine (lapped so Dr. Moss would approve) and finished on a chromium oxide pasted paddle strop. Mmmmmmm... hadn't shaved in three days. Used a delicious sage-scented Mama Bear soap and achieved a very close, smooth, fast shave. My facial skins cells say "yummmm." Who knew they had taste buds? Apparently they love the taste of old carbon steel! A touch of alum block (harsh armpit variety) to astringe, sterilize and gauge shave's irritation (or lack thereof). Splashed on some Stephan's "Alpine Menthol" skin toner.. now I can't stop faceturbating.

I hadn't honed a razor up to shaving sharp from truly dull for about 3 or so months. When I go too long a feeling creeps up that I'm no longer master of my razors, that I'm a poser. I feel better now.

:P
Lover of cold, hard steel.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well done! A feeling you can enjoy as often as you like. This Sunday I have my niece's husband, back from four years in Australia, coming to learn some honing. I have a Livi and a strop to pass on if he learns well enough to hone the razors he has been using this last few years. I confess I enjoy teaching these things.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
mretzloff
Vendor

Post by mretzloff »

Well done! Share some pictures.
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a very rewarding experience. Feels good doesn't it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

How many minutes did it take you to go from very dull to razor sharp?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Glad you made the step :)