Going straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rideaduc

Going straight

Post by rideaduc »

Ok gents, I am considering moving from DE's to straights in the next month or so. I found someone who is selling their father's razors for $150 and has the following(can't see any nicks from the pics). I will be sending them except one or two (I will be practicing my honing on these)out for professional hone by a honemeister.

So my question, is this a decent deal (also includes a strop and some brushes) or would I be better buying one new?

Also, just curious can you shave everyday with a straight? I saw some posts saying that people on shave every 2-3 days and was just curious why.

Razors:
(1) C-Mon "Blackie
(2) Red Imperial 133's
(1) Simco straight razor (handle broken)
(1) Fromm Special 72
(1) Goldman & Riggs Cut Co.
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Shaving every 2 or 3 days is only that person's preference. As long as you are not cutting & scraping yourself, you can shave every day.

I don't know my straight razors, but broken handles (usually called "scales") are replaceable for a reasonable price.
brothers

Re: Going straight

Post by brothers »

rideaduc wrote:Ok gents, I am considering moving from DE's to straights in the next month or so. I found someone who is selling their father's razors for $150 and has the following(can't see any nicks from the pics). I will be sending them except one or two (I will be practicing my honing on these)out for professional hone by a honemeister.

So my question, is this a decent deal (also includes a strop and some brushes) or would I be better buying one new?

Also, just curious can you shave everyday with a straight? I saw some posts saying that people on shave every 2-3 days and was just curious why.

Razors:
(1) C-Mon "Blackie
(2) Red Imperial 133's
(1) Fromm Special 72
Yes, once a guy has learned how, shaving every day is no different from shaving with any other type of razor. There's a learning curve, but if you are dedicated to learning it and doing it over the long haul, it can be very fulfilling.

It's going to be impossible for anyone to place a value on a razor without pictures. The size (most guys seem to gravitate to 5/8" and 6/8" blades), and the condition of the blade is critical cracks, chips, pitting along the edge, or severe hone wear can be very detrimental.

I can tell you that paying someone to rescale a razor will be around $50, unless there's another set of cast off scales of the proper size all ready to go that cost nothing, then it might be less.

No one can tell in this case if the price for the whole package is good or not. Again, pictures and clear descriptions are a must. Used brushes and strops, again, very subjective. Hardly anyone will want to start shaving with someone else's old brush. You might opt to rebristle them with new badger hair and use them.

Few guys start out with all new stuff when they go to straight razors. It's definitely OK to do it that way, but buying new razors, hones, strops, etc., is going to set you back a bit.

Old razors are generally equal or better in quality, for a fraction of the price of new ones. The ones you're thinking about buying might turn out to be good shavers, but again, they might be too worn or rusty to be worth very much.

I hope this is of some help to you. Good luck with your straight razors. I hope you will remember to come back and post about your progress, and maybe even post some pics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
loueedacat1

Re: Going straight

Post by loueedacat1 »

Need to see the pics to even guess at value. A mint condition blackie would be worth that by itself, but if they are all flawed then might be a terrible deal.....
rideaduc wrote:Ok gents, I am considering moving from DE's to straights in the next month or so. I found someone who is selling their father's razors for $150 and has the following(can't see any nicks from the pics). I will be sending them except one or two (I will be practicing my honing on these)out for professional hone by a honemeister.

Razors:
(1) C-Mon "Blackie
(2) Red Imperial 133's
(1) Fromm Special 72
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Unless the edges are damaged by corrosion, you are getting a bargain. Welcome to the club, and please feel free to ask for advice as you go along!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace