Newbie questions

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
adl50ok

Newbie questions

Post by adl50ok »

Hello All,
Recently converted to DE razors, and doing well....although still experimenting with different razors and blades. But I'm thinking of the next step, to a straight. I have a Dovo Shavette, and used it once...not too bad, but very little leeway for error. It had a Dovo blade.

Questions:
-do you suggest the Shavette or a "real" straight razor to start?
-what blades for the Shavette? Better to start with one not so sharp? Maybe a Merkur? A blade that works in a DE might not be the best for the Shavette, right? I'd hate to think what a Feather would do.
-what's the best way to get a shave ready straight for not too much $ ? I wouldn't mind the expense of a quality new straight if I knew I would use it regularly. I found one at an antique store and had it professionally sharpened here in NYC, but it pulled and tugged and did not feel right.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Alan
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum Alan!

I don't think a Shavette is going to give you the "straight experience"; however as a straight neophyte myself you should take your advice from the more veteran straight-members of the forum, whom I'm sure will weigh in shortly.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Alan, If you're going to mess around with disposible blade straights, I'd suggest that you pick up a Feather AC. Granted they're considerably more expensive, but they are well made, highly effective, and a quality piece. Those Shavettes, are nasty....VERY difficult to use effectively without getting razor burn and other skin issues. I see no advantage to them and the shaving experiance will not especially prepare you for using a traditional straight anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

You can pick up a correctly honed used razor from a few members if cosmetics aren't critical for a trainer.
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Alan, I'm going to second what Gordon has told you. I'm a barber and I won't even use a shavette type razor for a neck shave to finish a haircut.

If you do feel the need to try something with a disposable blade, get a Feather AC. I use 'em day in and day out for work and occasionally on myself. I'll also point out that the shave from an AC and a straight are different. My preference leans toward a nice, sharp 5/8 full hollow ground.

As Chris points out, you can probably get something from a member here that's shave ready for about the same amount of money as you'd spend on a Dovo shavette. Unlike the shavette, your straight won't wind up in the bottom of the drawer after two or three outings.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
adl50ok

Post by adl50ok »

Thanks all for your help. Anyone have a 5/8 they are willing to part with? Aestetics don't matter, it's for training purposes. I will gladly send my antique store razor to anyone who wants a project for sharpening.

You have confirmed my initial impression re the Shavette. I'm pretty good with my hands, but that was tough.

Thanks again.

PS- Any straight shaving classes in NYC?

Alan
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

you don't need a class. just look at chris's how to on this site and play around with a honed razor. It's hard to learn to strop and hone, it's easy to learn to shave - takes maybe two tries to get it down.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: newbie

Post by notthesharpest »

adl50ok wrote:Thanks all for your help. Anyone have a 5/8 they are willing to part with? Aestetics don't matter, it's for training purposes. I will gladly send my antique store razor to anyone who wants a project for sharpening.

You have confirmed my initial impression re the Shavette. I'm pretty good with my hands, but that was tough.

Thanks again.

PS- Any straight shaving classes in NYC?

Alan
Most important straight razor "class" you can take in my opinion is getting your razor honed by somebody who's really good, so you can get a feel for what a good sharp razor is supposed to feel like. It would also be ideal to have a face-to-face lesson in how to hone and take care of the razor, but many don't have that luxury.

As others have said, the shave itself is mostly just a little semi-casual on-line study and a lot of slow & patient practice.
Danricgro

Post by Danricgro »

You said your blade was proffesionally sharpened? I have only been at this for a couple of months and when I first started I did not think my blade was sharp enough (it was honed by Lynn Abrams) when actually the blade was fine but I did not know what I was doing. Perhaps your blade
angle was not right.
Montecristo #2

Post by Montecristo #2 »

Danricgro wrote:You said your blade was proffesionally sharpened? I have only been at this for a couple of months and when I first started I did not think my blade was sharp enough (it was honed by Lynn Abrams) when actually the blade was fine but I did not know what I was doing. Perhaps your blade
angle was not right.
I think this is the #1 lesson to be learned, start with a certifiably shave ready razor.