The Learning Curve

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

The Learning Curve

Post by matt321 »

With all you need to know, straight razor shaving has taken me a while to get up to speed. The actual shaving process, the stropping, learning to make lather, acquiring a decent brush, honing, learning how to tighten scales, etc.

I've been at it about three years and I've noticed the shaves have been really nice now. I think I still have room to improve though.

So here is a question for you. How long does it take to go from beginner to expert? I'd say about five years; maybe less if you start honing for others to gain more experience.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've been doing it for about 25 years and I still learn things.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If it didn't take some skill, it wouldn't be any fun. When I can guarantee perfection without having to make any effort I shall grow a beard!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jbc

Post by jbc »

The day I stop learning is the day I find a pine box in the ground to go live in.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm at the beginning of my curve... I figure a couple more weeks and I'm good...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Ravi,
I'm not even at the beginning of my curve.. I just have a peaked interest. I ordered Chris's book from Lulu and I figure I would read that first before I make any decision of what equipment I need. I am probably a ways off before I actually shave with a straight, but I feel it is natural progression of this hobby of ours.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Big Swifty wrote:I ordered Chris's book from Lulu and I figure I would read that first before I make any decision of what equipment I need. I am probably a ways off before I actually shave with a straight, but I feel it is natural progression of this hobby of ours.
... he said, wandering dangerously close to the top of the slippery slope. :D

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Yeah Les, I know... I know.
I see all the goodies involved such as strops, paddle strops, hones, oils, pastes, sprays, razors themselves, and indeed it all seems rather pricey, but curiosity has a firm grip on me and I am rather intrigued.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

i believe that once the user understands that it is not the razor but the angle he shaves at and realizes that pressure is not required for close shave then they have learned how to use a straight razor but it takes others longer than others to understand this concept.
Have a wonderful shaving day
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

shavedhead wrote:i believe that once the user understands that it is not the razor but the angle he shaves at and realizes that pressure is not required for close shave then they have learned how to use a straight razor but it takes others longer than others to understand this concept.
Good advice.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

shavedhead wrote:i believe that once the user understands that it is not the razor but the angle he shaves at and realizes that pressure is not required for close shave then they have learned how to use a straight razor but it takes others longer than others to understand this concept.
It's possible to understand and still do it wrong. I have proved that. :)

But essentially you're still right.
Montecristo #2

Post by Montecristo #2 »

Some good advice here....