Shaved Two Times Today 9-25-10

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Shaved Two Times Today 9-25-10

Post by brothers »

A tale of two shaves -- my SOTD for Saturday September 25, 2010.

Yesterday I received in the mail, a new razor, a Dovo 6/8 half hollow. First thing I did was take a look at the edge with the loupe, and I learned that the edge had several minor chips in the edge, nothing alarming, of course, and actually to be expected, but it had been honed by the vendor, and had a sticker on it to that effect. Anyway, no doubt it had been honed between the factory and my house, just as advertised, so I'm not concerned.

I also got a new bowl of TOBS Lavender. So I wanted to go ahead and shave with the Dovo and the TOBS, just because. Great soap and lather, but that's a whole other topic. The shave with the Dovo was exactly as expected. A bit of pulling and not near enough actual cutting of whiskers.

Approximately 6 hours after the shave, I had a lot of whiskers that still needed to be cut, so, according to my plan, I took the razor all the way through my hones and strops, got a whole different edge according to the view through the loupe, and eagerly shaved for the second time today.

Not wishing to waste any time with lathering and brushing, etc., I just borrowed my daughter's canned Barbasol (called "Pure Silk" SC for women) and had a great shave for the second one of the day.

I shaved carefully and went my usual 2 1/2 passes, and the resulting shave was great. Also, when I go back to the Dovo again in a few days, I expect that my second shave on the freshly honed "new" razor is probably going to be better than the first post-honing shave, as usually happens.

Bottom line, a good day of shaving and honing today at my house. I'm going to hit it with a DE tomorrow, and then another new razor the day after that (Thiers Issard 6/8 Super Gnome Extra) on Monday.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Oh boy, two new razors to figure out. 8)

I've had vendor honing that was great in one case and sorry in another.
brothers

Post by brothers »

These are likely to be the only new SRs I'll ever have. I figured it was about time. I'm not looking for any other new or vintage razors at the present time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm sure there are vendors who hone wonderfully, but I still take a new razor and make it as good as I like it to be.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Thiers Issard had a better edge out of the box than the Dovo, but nothing to write home about. There were no little chips, and I stropped it well before the first shave. I want to hone it my own way before the next shave.
Gary

loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'm sure there are vendors who hone wonderfully, but I still take a new razor and make it as good as I like it to be.

Chris
I think some vendors' honing appeals more to some than others, due to different skin/beard types. Not shockingly, the one razor Lynn honed from me lasted forever. I happen to love the edges John Crowley puts on his razors (which are NOS, so he's working with good materials). And martin as rasurpur does a great job. I haven't loved the edges from other honemeisters, and I suspect that's just because I have a different bear than them.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Dovo with shave #2, post honing, after a thorough pre-shave stropping on linen and cowhide provided a very smooth and long lasting SR shave yesterday. So far, so good!
Gary