Do you switch razors every day?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

Do you switch razors every day?

Post by matt321 »

I tend to use a razor for a week then rotate to another. I'm curious what others do.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My Merkur HD sees daily use. A gifted 1904 opencomb has proved perfect for my neck as needed.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sometimes I stay with the same razor for more than one day at a time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

I'm a serial monogamist. I used a Slim for a long time, then a Fatboy for a long time, then a 70's adjustable for a long time, then (and currently) a late 40's SS. Always with Feather blades. This goes on for weeks at a time and then I get off the rails for a while. These little adventures have let me try well over two dozen other safety razors, regular and Japanese style Feather AC's and four straight razors. Sometimes I go back to the razor I was going steady with - sometimes it gets replaced by something else.

Right now I'm about 8 or 9 shaves into a stash of Super Iridium blades with the SS and liking them. I think I'm going to try 'em out in some of those razors in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. It would be hard to beat the SS/Feather match-up but you never know... I have a feeling that the SI in a '58 TV Special could be sweet.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Because of the location of this thread I kinda figure that Matt is referring specifically to open razors, which I don't use. Regarding safety razors, no, I only very rarely switch off what I'm using.
Regards,
Gordon
malocchio

7 razors

Post by malocchio »

I have 7 razors,I shave every other day,and I use a different razor each shave,,,I transfer the blade to each razor until it is used up
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I have a fleet of 5 dedicated razors. All but one are the same make and model. The odd one is the same manufacturer (Thiers Issard) but a different model. I used to rotate every day moving down the line using every razor (except the oddball model). For the better part of the last year though I've been using only the first two. I'll use one of those two every day for months until the edge needs a honing. Once I get to that point I take up the second blade and use it for months until it needs a honing. In that mean time I hone the first blade. The other blades are oiled and sitting. One day I might take them up again but for now I am happy doing things this way.

When I first started with a straight I used the same razor daily for over ten years. I had no backup and I did alright. I didn't have any pasted strops to touch up on either. If the blade was starting to go I'd get the hone out in the evening and spend some time on it until the blade was sufficiently keen again. I still have that blade and shave with it every now and then. It's tough to strop though as the scales are cracked so it doesn't see much use, only when I want a nostalgic shave. My current routine of using two blades is really just for the convenience of being able to hone the dulled blade when I have the time. I like it for now.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Seven Friodurs are my daily shavers.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
giammi

Post by giammi »

I change the razor every day. Exception is when I hone a straight razor, then I try the razor for a few days.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

yes I switch razors at every shave trying to go through my entire rotation and then starting over, of course that gets interrupted with new purchases and or if I get a bad shave for whatever reason and have to touch one up or take it to the hones (like yesterdays brand new TI) then I will shave with it again a 2nd time in a row or more if necessary after I sharpened it

I try to pick out similar razors for the week though sometimes by grind, sometimes by size and other times by manufacturer(s)
Jim
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

A different straight razor every day. Otherwise I'd own just one!
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I don't really keep track.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paddy

Post by paddy »

i stick to the same razor for a week of shaves. then i shift to another razor in the rotation and use it for the following week.

in other words i use a different razor and a fresh blade at the start of every week and i continue to use that same combo for the rest of the week.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I switch from one straight to another almost every day.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I use the same W&B Barber use, day in, day out.
If I had six more, I might rotate them somewhat. . .
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
brothers

Post by brothers »

At the present time I'm using 4 SRs and 4 DEs in an every day rotation. I'm breaking in a couple of new SRs and a new hone, so I'm having to change things up a bit while figuring out how to use the new stuff to its best advantage.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Harvitz81

Post by Harvitz81 »

I change daily. Too big of a rotation to stick with one for a week.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

It really comes down to two straights for me.

I almost always use my Robert Williams but occasionally like my japanese style Feather with a pro blade in it.

offshoot

Post by offshoot »

I change them randomly.
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

I have a go to razor that's used for about 50% of my shaves. The other 50% is made up of the 6-8 change of pace razors that will occasionally call to me.

Martin