Thinking about making the switch from DE

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Looks like some pretty decent kit. The most important thing, I think, is to take it slowly and not jump in with both feet. You're better off walking away from a shave feeling like your face is fine but the shave wasn't that close, compared to a super close shave and an irritated, bloody face. Go with one pass, with the grain, for a good while, until it becomes second nature (which isn't that long, by the way), before branching out.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice razor, and it should be nice and sharp from that seller. After a week or two you should be able to get a half decent shave. A bigger challenge will be stropping and then eventually honing. It's all fun though! 8)

Don't brag and strut to your friends and co-workers about using a straight. You are going to have some visible cuts and dings for the first few months at least. They will think you are an idiot. (Been there, done that. :roll: )
brothers

Post by brothers »

Don't get discouraged or intimidated. The result is worth the effort.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

matt321 wrote:Nice razor, and it should be nice and sharp from that seller. After a week or two you should be able to get a half decent shave. A bigger challenge will be stropping and then eventually honing. It's all fun though! 8)

Don't brag and strut to your friends and co-workers about using a straight. You are going to have some visible cuts and dings for the first few months at least. They will think you are an idiot. (Been there, done that. :roll: )
Yup. You are doing it for you, not someone else.

You (noticing co-worker staring at your face): "I am learning to shave with a straight razor."
Co-worker: "Why?"

Like Matt said, "Been there, done that."
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

Ok I got two shaves in with the straight (followed up with the DE)

First one was pretty bad.
Second one was a lot better. I think when you realize you wont cut off your jaw its a little easier. The chin is still a bit tricky.

Do you guys use different grips when you shave for different spots? Is there a right way to hold it or is it just what you like?

Kind of tough to articulate need a couple more shaves to figure out exactly what I'm doing but I enjoy it.

Its funny when I cleaned up with the DE its just like cruise control. Normally I'd think about angle a bit but now its just seems a ton easier.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rockdude14 wrote:Ok I got two shaves in with the straight (followed up with the DE)

First one was pretty bad.
Second one was a lot better. I think when you realize you wont cut off your jaw its a little easier. The chin is still a bit tricky.

Do you guys use different grips when you shave for different spots? Is there a right way to hold it or is it just what you like?

Kind of tough to articulate need a couple more shaves to figure out exactly what I'm doing but I enjoy it.

Its funny when I cleaned up with the DE its just like cruise control. Normally I'd think about angle a bit but now its just seems a ton easier.
Have you read Chris Moss's guide to using a straight razor? It shows you all that stuff.