Thinking about making the switch from DE

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rockdude14

Thinking about making the switch from DE

Post by rockdude14 »

I've been shaving with a DE for about two years now and enjoyed. I've always been intrigued by straight razors. I like the process of shaving and like something that takes a little bit of skill to do well.

Anyway I'd like to start but I just don't know where. I'm a college student so cash is a bit tight. I know its important to get one thats been honed correctly. Don'y really care about looks. Any advice on what to get for my first razor?

Thanks
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

The classifieds at Straight Razor Place. The won't be as cheap as eBay but they will be in good shape and if the seller says "Shave ready" you will get a shave ready razor.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

I was actually looking through there (and the classifieds here)
but I just dont know what I'm looking at

as long as its shave ready
is it pretty much going to be good
or is there other things i should be looking for in a first razor
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Chris Moss, are you there?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I am, and the advice is good. An older razor honed by a respected name at SRP will be capable of shaving you. Whether you will turn out to be capable of - well, that part's easy!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

rockdude14 wrote:I was actually looking through there (and the classifieds here)
but I just dont know what I'm looking at

as long as its shave ready
is it pretty much going to be good
or is there other things i should be looking for in a first razor
Regarding what to buy, which is what I think you are woried about, recalling similar advice from other members, a 5/8 full hollow ground razor is the generic-sized razor if there is such a thing. The majority of razors for sale, old and new, are 5/8 hollow ground. If you are a big guy, a 6/8. I started with a 5/8 and added a 6/8 later. I am still a beginner and I find the 5/8 easier to use (but the bigger one looks so cool!)
Dave

rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

drmoss_ca wrote:I am, and the advice is good. An older razor honed by a respected name at SRP will be capable of shaving you. Whether you will turn out to be capable of - well, that part's easy!

Chris
I just dont know who the respected names at SRP are
or are you suggesting buying it and than getting it honed by someone else?

and thanks for the guide,
I read it before I started with the DE and I'm re-reading it again now
a-cut-above wrote: Regarding what to buy, which is what I think you are woried about, recalling similar advice from other members, a 5/8 full hollow ground razor is the generic-sized razor if there is such a thing. The majority of razors for sale, old and new, are 5/8 hollow ground. If you are a big guy, a 6/8. I started with a 5/8 and added a 6/8 later. I am still a beginner and I find the 5/8 easier to use (but the bigger one looks so cool!)
think something like this might be good?
http://straightrazorplace.com/classifie ... 8406/cat/3

i'm just afraid I'll get something bad and than write off straight shaving just from a bad razor. I want to make sure I give it a fair shot
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Looks like a good one. To learn I recommend you just shave with the grain for a few weeks. Later you can learn about going across and then against the grain. Your first razor need not be pretty; if you have it in you to be a straight shaver you will love it anyway.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

ok sounds good

they dont really have any strops over there in their classifieds
is there a decently priced one that youd recommenced for a newbie?
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I would wait for input from knowledgeable members here and at SRP about entry level strops.
Dave

loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

ruprazor strops are supposed to be good and cheap.
freimaurer

Post by freimaurer »

loueedacat1 wrote:ruprazor strops are supposed to be good and cheap.
Second on that. I bought A "filly" about a year ago and still use it. Plus they are only $22.00

http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=32

Also, he has inexpensive straight for $47.00. I have never used it but he gives you a lifetime of free honing. Plus it's a round point which I personally think is easier to learn on. Stay away from a spike point until you learn the basics.

http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=32
Greg
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ooh, Greg - a Pour Le Mérite avatar?

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

a member on here offered to sell me their extra one of these
http://shop.starshaving.com/2-1-2-Big-M ... p-0002.htm

seemed like a decent deal for leather and linen

anyone think this would be a bad choice?

thanks for the advice so far
I'm looking forward to my first shave
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Rockdude. I think my fellow SMF'ers have forgotten this post by one of the SMF members: He's a good guy and will go out of his way to assist you with a razor that will work for a first straight razor. And yes, he's also a member of SRP. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
freimaurer

Post by freimaurer »

drmoss_ca wrote:Ooh, Greg - a Pour Le Mérite avatar?

Chris
Oui, je suis un membre de l'Ordre de St. John
Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Best of luck with your new experiment and I encourage you to try it now, despite a shortage of funds. I've given open razors two go-arounds and just could not get comfortable with how they felt and I think this was mainly because I'd been using DEs for so very long. The less long one has been using them, the easier the transition is what I suspect.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

As a straight razor neophyte still on the learning curve, it's important to be patient. It may take weeks to "get it". Your shaves won't be as close as a DE but keep at it and one day day you will get that "Got It" shave. Learning to strop and to hone are required skills as well. Be patient and have fun.
Dave

rockdude14

Post by rockdude14 »

Ya I'm thinking it will be a lot like learning with the DE
just maybe a little harder

I bought a razor and a strop so hopefully they wont take to long

heres the razor and strop
http://straightrazorplace.com/classifie ... 8406/cat/3

http://shop.starshaving.com/2-1-2-Big-M ... p-0002.htm

should be fun

thanks for the advice
Im sure Ill be back
brothers

Post by brothers »

Excellent choices/purchases. You did good!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444