Hart?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think that only the MkII prototype is mirror-finished. I hadn't realised till now that the production razors are still satin.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice Chris! I still like their black synthetic (Sunday).
These are not engraved with the day of the week, right? So how did they work the order out amongst themselves? (Shouldn't the JA roundpoint land on Monday or perhaps Wednesday.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The order isn't set in stone, I just referred to them that way to identify them in the photo. I shall have to wipe off the oil and then get down to fine tuning the edges.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

drmoss_ca wrote:The prototypes don't have jimps, so I can't say (yet!) The mark II is polished rather than satin finish. Coloured scales weren't available initially, but are now.
That 7-day set is very fine. I'm curious as to what is different with this new model. Let us know if and when you can!

I remember there was some controversy about the bevel angle and the need to tape the spine for honing. Have you decided to use tape?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I always use one layer of tape on hones, and remove it for pasted strops and finishing strops. I don't follow Tim's regime of multiple tape layers.

Any talk of how taping during honing will affect bevel angle (whilst possibly true) becomes insignificant compared to the far greater variations in shaving qualities when you factor in the angle at which you hold the razor for the shave.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

The Hart razors are available with a few options: polished, satin, round point square (French) point. Currently, jimps are also available on the round point, polished models. I think, sooner or later, they will all have jimps.

The Mark II designation has been dropped. It was getting too confusing.

I hope this helps.

Tim Z.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Tim. If/when I get ready to place the order, I'm going to do it by phone rather than online, because of the available options.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

I'm so easy!

Just ordered a white one to go with my black one.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's an update. At long last I've placed my order for a new Hart razor. I'm getting the polished round point with jimps on the bottom, and Bocote scales. Being something less than full hollow ground, I'm expecting it to shave superbly. Give me a few days to get a feel for it and I'll try to come back and post about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

Good for you Gary!
Regards,
Andy
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Sounds like a nice one Gary. I look forward to your impressions of it.
-Stephen
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice acquisition Gary.

I wonder if the scales on these are interchangeable?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

matt321 wrote:Nice acquisition Gary.

Yes, they are. Just takes a hex screwdriver.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

matt321 wrote:Nice acquisition Gary.

Chris is correct. The only thing is: after the 7/8's come out, the 6/8's scales will only interchange with the 6/8's. The 7/8's scales will only interchange with the 7/8's.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Hart arrived today. It's got a good weight, I like the design and heft of the blade, and the Bocote scales are even more handsome in person. Made from a single piece of wood. Can't wait to try it out in a day or two. I hadn't thought of a 7/8 Hart, but this one seems to be just about right for me. At least for now.

Depending on how well it shaves over a period of time, I may have all the straight razors I'm going to need for a while, considering the remaining 4 (3 W&Bs and a Rodgers) that are in the capable hands of Ken at RupRazor being refurbished.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:It is a relatively expensive razor, but of excellent quality. One of those things where a fellow owner will smile and congratulate you, and someone who doesn't have one will simply say you paid too much.
This morning's shave with the new razor was very good. I am a happy guy! I stropped it before shaving, and as others have mentioned, the quarter hollow grind is smooth and silent. A beautiful razor that shaves as well as it looks.

Gary

matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice one. Glad it worked out ok.

Hey, is that a scuttle or just a shaving mug (in the second photo).
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's my Seto Marujyu Japanese "sanitary shaving soap-cup for barber". I have two spares just in case. The cup part isn't large enough to lather in, it just holds the brush and keeps it nice and warm during passes. It's got a nice wide opening so you can dip the brush in the hot water as needed. The hot water totaly surrounds the cup on all sides. I understand there is something called a "Kamisori Cup" that is similar if not identical, and I have found them listed on Kamisori's Japanese website, but since I don't read Japanese, I never got any farther than that.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:It is a relatively expensive razor, but of excellent quality. One of those things where a fellow owner will smile and congratulate you, and someone who doesn't have one will simply say you paid too much.
This morning's shave with the new razor was very good. I am a happy guy! I stropped it before shaving, and as others have mentioned, the quarter hollow grind is smooth and silent. A beautiful razor that shaves as well as it looks.
It's been almost a year since I made the right decision and bought this beautiful razor. It came up again this morning in the rotation, and I am reminded once again of how buttery smooth it shaves. Smooth and silent, I believe someone said. The gentleman who actually made this razor is Bruce. So I want to say Thank you Bruce! You've made a razor that's second to none. Easy to hone and it holds the edge forever.

Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm pleased it continues to satisfy. They really are excellent quality razors.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace