Hart?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
merkri

Hart?

Post by merkri »

Anyone own a Hart razor?

http://www.hartsteel.com/index.html
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two. Very good O1 steel, which takes an exceptional edge. One drawback to it though is that it corrodes easily, so you have to be fussy about drying and stropping after shaving, and store the razor out of the bathroom. Some complained about irregularities in the grind on a few early examples, but my two were fine, and I think that has been sorted out. It is a relatively expensive razor, but of excellent quality. One of those things where a fellow owner will smile and congratulate you, and someone who doesn't have one will simply say you paid too much. A bit like deciding your first camera might as well be a good one and buying a Leica M3 and a brick of Tri-X!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been wanting one since they were introduced, but yes, they are pricey. The Hart razors don't seem to generate hardly any discussion on the shaving forums. I don't know why. Wanting to hear what current Hart owners think of their razors, I've asked the same question you just asked on a couple of the forums, and all I received (at that time) were some rude responses, such as "that was already discussed when the Hart first came out, go search and read that stuff." The response you received here from Chris is, on the other hand, exactly what you (and I) have been wanting to see. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to Chris for the informative response. If I recall correctly, he was one of the original reviewers of the Hart shortly before it was offered for sale to the public around a year ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Yes the response from Chris is another example of why I do not belong to any other forums. There is a certain level of care and decorum demonstrated here that others lack.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

A lot of the early negative reviews were from people that didn't own a hart, but were offended by the price in light of the lack of curb appeal. I never understood that. Then some (that actually owned one) complained about grind problems, but then a bunch of good reviews came in.

I don't own one so can't comment. But it's cool to see the growing roster of custom makers joined by a semi production operation.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There's a backstory to the lack of traffic about Hart razors that is best discussed by PM.

Suffice it to say that if they were the only razors left to me when the straight razor gang raided the wall of shame, I would be well-shaved for the rest of my days. OK, I could say that of almost any razor on the wall, but few would shave as close and comfortable. The quarter grind is really stiff, giving the silent shave of a W&B meat cleaver, but much sharper. I think I shall have to spend some quality time with them and give the Friodurs a rest. If I didn't have such a humidity problem I could use them without a second thought. But it does get sticky here in the summer, and I have to keep carbon steel razors out of the bathroom and in a box with lots of silica gel packets. Tim says I should oil them, but I hate to do it - can't get it all off prior to the next shave. Nonetheless, the time has come for a change and I shall have them both in use this week.

Chris
Original review here.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
merkri

Post by merkri »

Thanks for the informative replies
matt321

Post by matt321 »

A while back I read ad statements from Hart that they guarantee flat, warp free blades. That is very different from statements from Dovo and others that some warping is not a defect.

I can't provide links to any of this, but I'm sure I saw it somewhere.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Nice shave from the prototype of the Mark II this am. Tomorrow I'll use the prototype of the original model. Then I think I shall have to complete the set...

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

I used mine just last night on three days growth. A fine shaving razor.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Speaking of the Mark II, am I on the right track in thinking that the razor with the hand done jimps on the underside of the shank is the Mark II? Or is it the range of razors with the wooden scales, in general? Or something else entirely?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The prototypes don't have jimps, so I can't say (yet!) The mark II is polished rather than satin finish. Coloured scales weren't available initially, but are now.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I was wondering what a Mark II was.
It reminded me of this:
brothers

Post by brothers »

That has always been one of my favorite cars. The Mark II Lincoln is a massive car, but the design proportions are perfect.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here are some images of the new seven day set:

This is all seven. The black-scaled version in the Sunday position is the prototype of the original model. The Saturday razor is the prototype MkII which is now fitted with walnut scales. The others are are all MkII razors with, on Monday, white man-made scales, Tuesday - maple scales, Wednesday - red oak scales, Thursday - oak scales, and Friday - walnut scales.

The front of each razor shows the Hart logo on the tang...

...and the reverse shows the initials of the grinder. TV, BG, and JA are present on these, whilst the prototype MkII says 'Prototype' and the MkI prototype says nothing at all on that side. A mixture of French and round points is apparent. You will also see some heavy oil on the blades, which is how they arrive. I'm sorry that the MkII reflected my red corduroy shirt, but there we are; it happens.

These are supremely good shavers and highly recommended.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congratulations on owning this unique set of Harts. You're a lucky guy. I like the walnut. Do you know if the Mark II are available for sale yet?
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They have been on sale through Classic Shaving for some long while now - that's where I bought five of these last week.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
cjc15153

Sorry, slightly off topic, but . . .

Post by cjc15153 »

drmoss_ca wrote:They have been on sale through Classic Shaving for some long while now - that's where I bought five of these last week.
So now you have a 7 day set of these.

Do you have 7 because 7 is the number that makes a set, or is there some practical (stropping, shaving, storage, etc.) disadvantage to rotating razor brands through the week?
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two reasons:

Seven days in a week.

Because I can. :wink:

No other reason at all, and there is no harm in using a razor more frequently. You can hone one razor, used daily, every three months, or seven of them, used once a week, every 21 months. It works out just the same.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:They have been on sale through Classic Shaving for some long while now - that's where I bought five of these last week.

Chris
Interesting. I've known that Harts were on that webstore, but didn't realilze there was a changeover to the Mark 2 at some point. The website just refers to them all together, without denoting MK 2 series, or polished vs. low sheen. Did you specify in your order that you wanted some high gloss and others without?
Gary