Smoothness and softness

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

Smoothness and softness

Post by matt321 »

Got really nice results from my $15 Gold Dollar razor today. I think I will keep it on deck and see how long it continues.

I've read some opinions that these tend to be softer than typical vintage razors. The thing I've noticed about mine is that it feels smooth even when I can tell it is starting to become dull. It's as though it progresses from razor to butter knife, whereas my others tend to go from razor to hacksaw. I mean over several strop/shave cycles.

So I am wondering if that is an indicator of softness?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

An interesting thought. Softer steel is easy to hone, exquisitely sharp when honed, but doesn't last so long before needing refreshing. I have always found that unsharpness creeps up on me. I'll shave and shave with a razor until one day I realise it is far from sharp. I haven't analysed how the shave deteriorates as I haven't been observant enough - it's more a matter of suddenly noticing "Oh, sh-t, this needs honing" for me. I'll have to keep an eye out for what you describe.
BTW, I don't visit SRP as often as I should these days, but I am given to believe that the Gold Dollar razors have not been universally welcome there?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

drmoss_ca wrote:BTW, I don't visit SRP as often as I should these days, but I am given to believe that the Gold Dollar razors have not been universally welcome there?
There is no policy against posting about GD's at SRP to my knowledge. They did make a big post explaining why they think they are not a good value. It is a volatile subject for many reasons, so maybe that discourages more frequent GD posts over there. Sort of like when I go over to my friend's house... we don't talk about politics.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

The proof is in the shaving and frankly the Gold Dollars have treated me ok. Granted I have, what I consider, much better razors but for the cost the slightly less life in an edge is forgivable in my books. Others may feel differently and they are entitled to their opinion so long as they don't try to force me to change my opinion with overly enthusiastic argument in favour of theirs.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

matt321 wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:BTW, I don't visit SRP as often as I should these days, but I am given to believe that the Gold Dollar razors have not been universally welcome there?
There is no policy against posting about GD's at SRP to my knowledge. They did make a big post explaining why they think they are not a good value. It is a volatile subject for many reasons, so maybe that discourages more frequent GD posts over there. Sort of like when I go over to my friend's house... we don't talk about politics.
I don't think there is any policy against GD posts over there, but it is odd that it is a "volatile" subject and too bad that there is a reluctance to discuss them. It's just another brand of razor that some like more than others.
AxelH

Re: Smoothness and softness

Post by AxelH »

matt321 wrote:Got really nice results from my $15 Gold Dollar razor today. I think I will keep it on deck and see how long it continues.

I've read some opinions that these tend to be softer than typical vintage razors. The thing I've noticed about mine is that it feels smooth even when I can tell it is starting to become dull. It's as though it progresses from razor to butter knife, whereas my others tend to go from razor to hacksaw. I mean over several strop/shave cycles.

Hmmmmm. I see you're thought process and I want to think it could have some measure of truth to it, that a steel's level of hardness/softness can contribute to the physical nature of its gradual degradation. Like how some brands of kitchen cutlery will reliably not crack or chip but instead safely warp or indent/impact without much time wasted honing off lots of steel, while more expensive cutlery may accrue micro-chips or even crack. ?

I would like to share something of my own visual-thinking mind with you. I have a straight razor, vintage, which was somewhat thin, but I thought it was made that way because it was also 4/8ths. I honed it up and it shaved well, then the next time it was like a hacksaw. Honed it again and it shaved fine and the next shave it was like a hacksaw. I have a 60x-100x microscope, BTW. I honed it up again and this time used three layers of electrical tape. It lasted more than one shave, or three shaves, it's gone on to last an incredible 8 shaves and is showing no signs of slowing down.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was surprised yesterday when I stumbled onto a listing for new Gold Dollar razors on a certain auction website. I didn't buy one, but at the price, and free shipping from halfway around the world, it's basically free. I had a Double Arrow that I learned to shave and hone with, and I've given it to someone who is inclined to take up shaving with a SR, so he can learn on it too. It shaved pretty good, if memory serves correctly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

Yes... basically free. Have you checked out the return policy? Compared it to the length of time it takes to ship to the U.S.? How about that plus the return shipping to China should there be a problem?

Guaranteed Chinese quality my friend...
Lover of cold, hard steel.
brothers

Post by brothers »

At the price, it would be considered a throw-away if it had a serious problem. I recently bought a little 60X lighted loupe for around $6 from Singapore or Hong Kong. It's excellent. If it breaks, it's a safe bet I'll throw it away and order another and a backup from the same seller.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Montecristo #2

Post by Montecristo #2 »

Might make a good travel razor....
ronnie brown

Post by ronnie brown »

the gold dolar and doubel arrow are the same razor the da was sold under a diffrent name but both are the same razors
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Montecristo #2 wrote:Might make a good travel razor....
My GD earned my respect soon after I bought it on ebay from seller Mr. Parko. I honed it up and took it on and two week road trip. I fully expecting that after the first few days it would be useless. I was only shaving every other day or so, but to my surprise it held a good edge for the entire trip. 8)
Last edited by matt321 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Re: Smoothness and softness

Post by matt321 »

matt321 wrote: The thing I've noticed about mine is that it feels smooth even when I can tell it is starting to become dull. It's as though it progresses from razor to butter knife, whereas my others tend to go from razor to hacksaw. I mean over several strop/shave cycles.
Almost saying the same thing?:
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL24159816M/