Ambrose Strop

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Danricgro

Ambrose Strop

Post by Danricgro »

Has anybody here had any experience with Ambrose strops? I just recieved a soft premium horsehide Ambrose strop and I am very impressed with it. Very well made. I am thinking it will be a great finishing strop after my Latigo.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I have never seen one in person, but I hear a lot of good things. 8)
Keep us informed with how yours works out.

I've had a Tony Miller horse hide for about a year. It started off very slick with no draw on the blade. Now it has a nice uniform draw that took several months to develop.

I thought the TM latigo strops were better out of the box, but mine was unstable with respect to moisture. It started feeling rubbery. With time and use the horse hide felt better while the latigo got worse.
Life2short1971

Post by Life2short1971 »

I have 2 and a 3rd on the way. One of style as he makes them. They are top of the line in my book. Try one and you won't be disappointed.
Scott
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've considered one. I'll be interested in what you guys have to say about yours. I've got an Illinois 127 I've used a lot over the past nearly two years. I've also got what appears to be an old horsehide Russian-type strop that doesn't seem to have any draw whatsover. I've treated it with saddle soap and it's become a bit more flexible. I probably should spring for a new one, at some point, but I'm managing to stay out of the hone/strop chase for the present time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Danricgro

Post by Danricgro »

I have only used my soft horsehide a couple of times but as of now I am impressed. Ambrose strops are a study in functional simplicity. There is nothing on it that is not needed. Very well made and very effective. I can't wait to get more of his strops.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Have you considered Ken's strops at Ruprazor dot com?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Danricgro

Post by Danricgro »

I have a Filly strop from Ruprazor and really like it.
Danricgro

Post by Danricgro »

brothers wrote:I've considered one. I'll be interested in what you guys have to say about yours. I've got an Illinois 127 I've used a lot over the past nearly two years. I've also got what appears to be an old horsehide Russian-type strop that doesn't seem to have any draw whatsover. I've treated it with saddle soap and it's become a bit more flexible. I probably should spring for a new one, at some point, but I'm managing to stay out of the hone/strop chase for the present time.
horsehide strops generally have very little draw from what I understand.
Life2short1971

Post by Life2short1971 »

It definitely has more draw. He only makes strops in runs. He might have horsehyde left but i don't know. He is making an English Bridle now. I can't wait!
Scott
Harvitz81

Post by Harvitz81 »

I have 3 of his strops and a 4th on the way. His spanish Horsehide is the best, but I don't think he can get the leather for it anymore. Not sure if he has his new horsehide, but that is the one I use as my finishing strop before shaving.

Can't wait to get his English Bridle
Montecristo #2

Post by Montecristo #2 »

I have one of his horsehide strops, a true work of art.