Smiling Blades

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
SirCur

Smiling Blades

Post by SirCur »

Gents,

I recently acquired a W&B wedge from another member of the forum. It is in excellent condition, and just requires some touch ups before using. I would like to give it a few, light passes on the coticule and then finish on a pasted bench strop.

But - this blade has a distinct "smile" vs my other blades that are perfectly straight. Since this razor is almost perfect, I don't want to mess it up.

Any advice for honing (and stropping) a blade with a smiling profile?

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
matt321

Post by matt321 »

You may find it will not lie flat on the hones. Thus, rolling strokes will be needed. Watch the water chase across the hone as you slightly lift the tang. (See here: http://www.coticule.be/strokes.html )

Also, if the blade edge and spine both smile in parallel, that is easier to hone than when the edge smiles but the spine is straight.

Also, if you have narrow hones (like one inch wide or so) things should be much easier.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

The truth is, you'll never get good at honing a big old W&B wedge until you close your eyes and hone it. You may mess it up, but when you learn to get it back, you'll be there. The rolling X really does work. I use 2-3 layers of tape on one wedge and 3-4 on another that is really a pure wedge (zero.zero hollowing). Great razors when you get the hang of them.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Thanks guys.

Matt - that site was very helpful. I gave it a whirl last night as follows:

- BBW side of the coticule - with slurry, rolling x 8 laps
- yellow side of the coticule - with slurry, rolling x 8 laps
- yellow side again - just water, rolling x 8 laps
- pasted paddle strop w. green chrome 10 laps
- hard leather hanging strop

My coticule is 6x2 so the rolling x was quite easy - no tape.

I'm not sure about the technique for the pasted strop, it is 10x2 - I tried a sort-of rolling x, but it's awkward with the spine-first - is there a better way to do this?

With the hanging strop, just went back and forth (it's 3" wide) - the spine and edge seemed to both run smoothly with no gaps.

Result? Testing on my arm, it popped some hairs, but didn't seem "perfectly sharp". Shaving this morning resulted in a smooth and close shave, so I guess my technique wasn't too bad - however, the razor was in great shape to begin with, so only a slight touch up was required.

Any comments on the pasted strop technique would be much appreciated.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
For this I pray
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

The smile on that razor was wonderful to shave with, getting it shave ready was the fun part. It was the first smiling razor I'd ever bought and I found out (as with others that followed) that they dont sit flat on the hone, it requires rolling during the stroke to get the entire edge. The best results I ever got was honing it as you describe in the first 3 steps:

- BBW side of the coticule - with slurry, rolling x 8 laps
- yellow side of the coticule - with slurry, rolling x 8 laps
- yellow side again - just water, rolling x 8 laps

Sometimes I would touch it up by holding the blade in one hand and resting a wet slurry stone on top of it, using a circular motion and very light touch. Finishing with about 40-50 strokes on a latigo strop.

Tried the pasted strop approach and didnt get very good results with this particular razor but, ymmv.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Dave, this is a very nice razor. I've only used it once, after tuning it up as described above. It was very nice and smooth - sharp enough to pop hairs off my arm, but not what I would describe as "perfectly sharp".

I'm a big fan of the pasted strop - use a 4 sided paddle strop that is approx 2" wide. Still trying to figure out the best technique for the smiling blade.

Honing on the coticule was fairly straightforward, but definitely trickier than with non-smiling blades.

I'll be using this one again tomorrow morning.

... Steve
To want what I have
For this I pray