Touch up

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Touch up

Post by drmoss_ca »

A week ago I decided to touch up my seven Friodurs, as they have had daily service for several months and I could tell that things were no longer as good as they were.

This time, rather than using pasted strops (Flexcut Gold and the HandAmerican Liquid Chrome, both on Illinois #827 strops) I decided to do it the old-fashioned way. Just with my finest finishing hone, which is currently a Spyderco Ultrafine 3" lapped with 2000 grit. I did ten strokes (ie five round trips) au naturel, then ten with an X-pattern to ensure the razor tip got as much attention as the heel, then another ten straight. Stropped 100 strokes (50 round trips) on my TI paddle and shaved. Five out of the seven were complete winners. The other two, which were noticeably less sharp before the touch-up, were less satisfactory. One of them has had the same regime over again on the Spyderco, and the other (just to make it sciency) had 100 strokes on the chrome strop, then the repeat Spyderco regime. Yes, I know it's the wrong way round, but if no one ever tries a pasted strop before the finishing hone how will we know if it isn't an advantage to do it the wrong way? When I have tried the two stragglers out in a few days when it is their turn to be used I shall report back.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Dr. Moss,

Very nice report. I will be interested to see how the stragglers perform.

Chris
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Good results!

Spyderco Ultrafine hones are not mentioned on the forums much. I'm always intrigued that yours works so well. I've had some luck with mine on occasions.