Straight Razor Honing Question (and others)

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
IamtheLaw382

Straight Razor Honing Question (and others)

Post by IamtheLaw382 »

Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy a straight razor. I currently have one of the Feather disposable blade straight razors, so I have a little bit of practice, but would like to get a real one.

I'm looking at maybe a Thiers Issard but none of them seem to come honed, and I have no idea how to hone a straight razor.

So I guess my questions would be:
Should I buy a cheap razor to practice honing and stropping or is the risk of me screwing up a razor minimal?

Do you have any recommendations on the razor itself or should most Thiers Issards or Dovos be fine?

Thanks a lot for your help; I'm really looking forward to getting more involved in my shaving.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For goodness' sake, don't buy a new razor and hope it will be shave ready, or expect to make it so yourself without practice. I did that many years ago, before there were all the resources available these days. Big mistake. It might be that I am a slow learner (in which case it is a highly specific learning disability given my academic record in other areas!), but it took me a long time and much persistence/stubborness to become proficient with hones. I'm still amazed to find that my skills are continuing to improve after all these years. So - my advice is always to buy an old razor, pre-honed by someone known to be good at the job on SRP, and try it out before spending larger sums on new razors, hones and strops. You will need some form of strop anyway, and I prefer paddle strops these days as there is less chance of screwing up. Do download the free Guide on this site's home page and read it all. Don't expect a real straight to be like the Feather - it isn't, and isn't really meant to be. A close shave will require more attention to angle (hint: always lower than you think!), more time, but involves far less risk of cuts and irritation. The satisfaction is huge when you finally get it down pat. Attention to detail, reproducible technique and discipline are all relevant.

Have fun!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum! (and I'd listen to Chris on this one)
Regards,
Andy
IamtheLaw382

Post by IamtheLaw382 »

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome!

So would you recommend buying a used razor over, say, a new Dovo that came "Professionally Honed"? If so, do you have a suggestion?

Once again, I really appreciate the help.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Go on over to SRP and get something from Lynn Abrams (adjustme69). That way you know you are getting the best there is. It need not be fancy or pretty - it's just to try out, and if you get on with it you will love it anyway. And when that happens it will automagically acquire many siblings, and you will be poor and happy (and well-shaven!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Many ways to skin this cat. My first straight was a dovo special - ie the lowest model, and you can get one honed by Lynn at Straightrazordesigns. The dovos are very nice shavers, and I found them very easy to hone, so even though you pay a little more a new razor it's avery friendly way to start.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote:For goodness' sake, don't buy a new razor and hope it will be shave ready, or expect to make it so yourself without practice. I did that many years ago, before there were all the resources available these days. Big mistake. It might be that I am a slow learner (in which case it is a highly specific learning disability given my academic record in other areas!), but it took me a long time and much persistence/stubborness to become proficient with hones. I'm still amazed to find that my skills are continuing to improve after all these years. So - my advice is always to buy an old razor, pre-honed by someone known to be good at the job on SRP, and try it out before spending larger sums on new razors, hones and strops. You will need some form of strop anyway, and I prefer paddle strops these days as there is less chance of screwing up. Do download the free Guide on this site's home page and read it all. Don't expect a real straight to be like the Feather - it isn't, and isn't really meant to be. A close shave will require more attention to angle (hint: always lower than you think!), more time, but involves far less risk of cuts and irritation. The satisfaction is huge when you finally get it down pat. Attention to detail, reproducible technique and discipline are all relevant.

Have fun!

Chris
+1
IamtheLaw382

Post by IamtheLaw382 »

Is there an advantage to silver steel vs stainless or carbon?
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

all good. silver steel is probably just a marketing name - it's probably carbon steel. some say stainless harder and therefore trickier to hone - i haven't found that. but I'd get a nice simple carbon steel solingen, ideally 6/8s width, round point, and enjoy.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Agreed. The Dovo special 6/8 is a great razor, and not too expensive - they are a round point and I have found them quite easy to hone and keep sharp.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

SirCur wrote:Agreed. The Dovo special 6/8 is a great razor, and not too expensive - they are a round point and I have found them quite easy to hone and keep sharp.

Best ... Steve
That's what I would get - 6/8 dovo honed by lynn abrams. And get a one stop hone like a coticule (what I did) and nice hanging strop. Then you can grow into this habit without anything else. I think StraightRazorDesigns (owned by Lynn) has starter packs with a good strop and dovo special honed by Lynn.