Feather Question

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

matt321 wrote:
JimDandy wrote:I use both conventional and Japanese style Feather AC razors for barbering.
Do barbers that use these change the blades for each customer? :?:
Yeah, I do. It's mandated by the local health code. Even if it wasn't, I'd do it anyway. Much like the Feather DE blades, I find the AC blades often exhibit a sudden, rapid and pronounced decline in performance. I could probably milk a blade for 3 or 4 good neck shaves or even a couple of face shaves if the customers had light beards but I don't see the point. There are a lot of variables when shaving. It's nice to at least know where you're at with your blade.

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Vinny, Good to hear that Les does, but the barbers I've frequented do not....even the ones that'll tell you it's 'illegal' and 'unsafe' to use a real straight....but they use the same disposible blade on several customers in a row ( for straightening the sideburns and cleaning up the neck ). I just ignore it. I'm done trying to discuss shaving and razors with most of these guys.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

That's why I asked the question. All the talk about health precautions, but I have yet to see anyone change the blade in one of those before using it!
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

I'm distressed but not surprised by the comments above. Like a lot of other things, barbering ain't what it used to be. Or at least what I'd like to remember it being.

When I see a lack of attention to things like changing blades I almost always see problems with other aspects of sanitation in a shop. All I can suggest is bringing it to the attention of your state's Barber Board. My understanding is that each state has its own board and regulations so what's not allowed in one jurisdiction might be acceptable in another.

Regards,

Les
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Is it truly sanitary to use the same razor with a new blade in it?

If Barbasol or similar is the answer, then why not for the blade as well?

A Feather straight is a lot harder to get clean (in the areas that contact the customer) than an ordinary straight.
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

notthesharpest wrote:Is it truly sanitary to use the same razor with a new blade in it?

If Barbasol or similar is the answer, then why not for the blade as well?

A Feather straight is a lot harder to get clean (in the areas that contact the customer) than an ordinary straight.
I guess it depends on how it's sanitized. After all, it's only the edge of the blade that's really in contact with the customer and that gets replaced. I take the blade out, break the razor down, scrub it with detergent and a brush, rinse it and put it into the Barbicide or Marvycide.

Regards,

Les
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you want to worry about this, remember that any blade that may have blood on its edge, will transmit the contents of that blood to the surrounding lather, which may enter the hollow centre of the Feather razor. So not only a new blade is needed for the next customer, but the razor needs to be immersed in bleach to kill the hardiest viruses, such as Hepatitis B and HIV for an appropriate length of time. It is obviously easier and more effective to sterilise a traditional straight blade this way than the complicated interior of a Feather. Hinges and springs make more nooks and crannies to conceal an organism. Knowing this, I would rather be shaved by a traditional straight than a replaceable blade straight at a barber shop, just as I would rather be shaved by a razor used on an HIV infected customer than one with hepatitis B, which is vastly more infectious at a lower viral load. Both can kill you in the end, so choose the one that is less infectious being the rationale.

Naturally, my first choice is to shave myself at home with my own razor. No disrespect to barbers, but I know my beard and my razors.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Or do like I do and bring my own razor to the barber..
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
IamtheLaw382

Post by IamtheLaw382 »

I'm pretty sure AIDs cannot survive outside of the body for very long at all; a few minutes or so. I have no idea about Hep B.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, there you go, and that is what I've always maintained here, and have pointed out to barbers as well. While I know that the barbers do not make or enforce the local health codes, in many places real straights are perfectly 'legal', if handled properly, but the barbers just don't want to bother, or don't even know how to use them but don't want to admit it. So, instead of being honest, they look solemn, shake their heads, and mutter about 'diseases' and 'unsafe' and so forth, while blithely shaving five customer's necks in row with the same disposible blade. But as I said above, I've quit even trying to discuss these matters with them. With only a very few exceptions they seem to know squat about the finer points of shaving and don't WANT to know.
Regards,
Gordon