Dropped a razor...

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Dropped a razor...

Post by drmoss_ca »

...but it's OK; I caught it. Unfortunately by the blade and with my right hand. The biggest razor I have - the mammoth-ivoried Livi snake. Good job you have an artery on each side of the finger, as one of them isn't connected any more. Shaving will be interesting this morning.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: :shock:

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Clive

as a side note, if that happens to a non medical, faint at the sight of blood type person, what should one do besides pray? :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Wow. Hope you're ok.

The dilemma is awful. Either you let that arm flick forward and try to save the razor or you let it hit the sink, countertop or floor. Either option is scary and unpleasant and you get perhaps one millisecond to decide.

(shudder)
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

fallingwickets wrote::shock: :shock:

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Clive

as a side note, if that happens to a non medical, faint at the sight of blood type person, what should one do besides pray? :lol:
When I took up straights I actually allocated a cabinet next to the sink for first aid stuff, lots of gauze, tape, alcohol, iodine even some clotting sponges.

Its not that I'm not confident in my blade handling but things happen.

Sometimes my hands will try a "save" manuever almost involuntarily. Once a moment of distraction caused me to slightly cut the end of my nose (that was actually just a few weeks ago).

I also make sure I'm wearing shoes or slippers that are substantial when I'm shaving. And I make sure my, erm, mid-fuselage area is covered. :D
Last edited by ScottB on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Good advice.

By the way....no way am I going to try and catch a dropped Gold Dollar. A Livi custom....probably yes.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Chris, My brother, wife and kids are in Quebec City this morning and report it's very cold. I would assume the same on your northern shores. Put a glove on when you head out!

Max
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

-13ºC this am (8ºF for the anti-metric crowd). Gloves are a must. Biggest irritation is the number of times a day I have to wash my hands, so I'm wearing rubber gloves for non-sterile stuff too.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

That's why I never take my tighty whities off before shaving.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Yikes, I did that with a futur and sliced the tip of my left index finger after the cap popped off; but, never with a straight razor. If you are right-handed you need to practice razor catching with the left. :)

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery Chris.
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sorry to hear of it, Chris. I ask myself if I'd use my lightning fast reflexes :lol: to try to catch it, or would I have enough time to make a decision to stop the reflex and let it fall. I think I should "rehearse", meaning that I imagine I've just dropped a razor, and practicing a full "pull back". In the pull back I'd withdraw feet and hands and just watch it bounce. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

brothers wrote:I'm sorry to hear of it, Chris. I ask myself if I'd use my lightning fast reflexes :lol: to try to catch it, or would I have enough time to make a decision to stop the reflex and let it fall. I think I should "rehearse", meaning that I imagine I've just dropped a razor, and practicing a full "pull back". In the pull back I'd withdraw feet and hands and just watch it bounce. :wink:
But....a Livi Mammoth!

I might push my mother into the path of its earthward trajectory to prevent damage lol. Well, a sibling anyway. :D
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Another reason to be in awe of the good Dr. He's still alive and able to type on the keyboard -- attaboy Chris - we all bow in deference to you! [-o< \:D/ =D>
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Very Metric in Vermont. The advantage of being close to the border thank god. I remember dropping that bottle of Spanish Leather on the floor last year. Less than a 3rd left but that hurt for days.

Max
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

my only hope is that you heal up quick and as good as new

so sorry to here this

marc
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Luckily you'll be alright Chris. Thankfully I don't like straights and if I had to use one, I wouldn't use it in the buff. :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I'm really sorry to hear the bad news and hope you heal quickly. At least you didn't have to ask, "Is there a doctor in the house?"
-Stephen
paddy

Post by paddy »

pictures please?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Part of my pre straight shave mantra is a promise to myself to step back and let it fall if such should happen. So far I have only had to do that once and as luck would have it it hit the counter spine first and no damage.
As I replayed the fall in my minds eye and imagined what would have happened if I had made a grab, blood was a prominant part of the program.
I make that promise to myself every single shave and pray reflex never overrides logic....but a Livi......hmmmmm
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I had to google the razor. Does the handle make for a differant holding technique for stropping and shaving? http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwi ... ake%22_8/8
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Shaving is the same but stropping is awkward because of the projection of the scales and the curved shank.

Catching it is easier, though....

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace