Quarter hollow or full hollow?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Quarter hollow or full hollow?

Post by brothers »

If you have a preference, based on actual shaving performance, which do you prefer? My vintage and new (Hart) quarter hollow razors are noticeably smoother. I still have one full hollow Clauss that I like to use. The rest are quarter hollow or less. I've sold many of my old and new full hollows.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

Tell ya what let's just trade some next time OK???
I love full and extreme hollows don't like anything over a 1/4 hollow and really not many over 1/2 LOL

It really is a very personal hobby...
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's the stiffness of the blade, rather than the grind. Other things being equal, the thicker grinds will be stiffer. My Livi blue tongue razors are fully hollowed, but are as stiff as wedges, and just as quiet in use. No wonder they take extra honing!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't had the pleasure of shaving with one of the old Filarmonica razors, but it seems that from what I've seen and read, those and maybe the ERN blades, and some of the old Sheffield full hollows are considered very good shavers due to the thickness and stiffness of the blades.

I know a lot of it comes from cumulative experience, but in my experience with both kinds, it has turned out, up to now at least for me, that the shaving experiences and the resulting shaves with the heavier less than full hollow ground blades have made me happier than the full hollows.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The huge Filarmonica I have is certainly built like an axe. I have two ERNs but they are fully hollowed and twang with the best of them. Take a great edge though. I used to encourage beginners who wanted a new razor to try a TI Super Gnome which is a half-hollow, but I haven't tried one of the new ones with their new steel, so I don't know if they are as easy to hone and as satisfying to shave with. Lastly, there are two other full hollows that are very stiff - the Bergischer Lowe and Friodurs.

So many great shavers out there!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I like full hollows. The others seem to stick to my face when I'm looking for the correct angle of attack. :x
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I love them both. Which I use depends on mood.
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

is there a big difference? I have always used a hollow grind
Have a wonderful shaving day
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I have and like both. I think the difference is firmness. Its not a big difference and I shave the same, it just feels different. I have noticed that I don't like to use the quarter hollow two days in a row. I don't have a lot of razors (3) or experience, I learned on a Dovo Best full hollow, although looking at the grind chart I think it might be a three-quarter hollow.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

With the passage of a little time (14 months) and a whole lot of practice, I've progressed to the point that I can achieve a nice shave with full hollow or otherwise. As a matter of fact, I've got a few favorite razors that I like to use in rotation, divided about 50/50 full hollow and quarter ground.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My choice is the Bergischer Lowe which I may bring out of retirement.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Sometimes people think blade profiles are all about performance when in fact it's ease of manufacture.
Hollowgrounds were first made en mass in Sheffield ( think of all those civil war daquerrotypes sporting fierce bowies) with grinding wheels. They produced a very fine edge but very prone to warping and chipping with heavy use.
Post civil war the famous buffalo skinners were cheaply made simply punching out blade banks and putting a quick sabre edge on.
The knife industry periodically 'invents' new blade profiles ie the 'Moran edge' A knife company brought suit Vs a smaller custom maker for infringing on HIS choil. An expert witness, museum curator of european armour came in with a 15th century sword- with said choil,case dismissed and bad PR to this day.
I think the best answer lies in the disorder we all become infected with shortly after taking up this pursuit to save money an get better shaves.
Buy all three \:D/
timj219

Post by timj219 »

I guess I will have to try a half hollow or wedge one of these days. But I'm really liking it at the other extreme. I've got a Boker 4/8 extra hollow that I like the feel of even more than the full hollows I have.
pinklather

Did someone say your preferences may vary?

Post by pinklather »

Yup. Quite different in feel. 'Have 5 1/4 grinds, and love each. I reach for them most often when the growth is heavy or I want to relax about technique and just enjoy. My other weakness is the extra hollow (<.010" measured 1/8" above the bevel). These come out when the growth is light or I want to attack with vigor. Regular full hollows are okay, but unless they have some weight to them, I'm underwhelmed. 1/2 hollows always feel odd - neither fish nor foul. The stiffness of the heavy grind, the light weight of the full hollow. 'Feel the same as a frameback to me.

It makes sense to me for members to try each other's blades, when possible, so you can try and experience one kind of size/grind/steel without having to buy and sell a bunch.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I have a very coarse beard..which means near and full wedge grinds need only apply...lolI have 2 hollow ground blades which aren't bad either
brothers

Post by brothers »

As time goes on, I'm not much concerned with the grind, so much as the real or perceived heft and appetite of the razor as it does what it does. I've sold a couple of razors that I really wish I hadn't sold now. The good part is that I'm not looking for any more razors because the ones I have are keeping me satisfied shave after shave.
Gary

pundi64

Re:

Post by pundi64 »

loueedacat1 wrote:I love them both. Which I use depends on mood.
I relate my mood as, how many cups of coffee I've had, more then 2, 1/4 hallow, 1-2, full hallow :D , just my take on my morning mood. :|
Hawkeye5

Re: Quarter hollow or full hollow?

Post by Hawkeye5 »

The fact is that one has to learn how to use a full hollow. Sorry, no shortcuts. I sold several before I really came to learn them. Once you learn them there is only the occasional quarter or half hollow that will satisfy. Full hollows razors rule!

Now, that said, there are full hollow razors I like and those I don't. Not a fan of the DD Wonder edge, too light for me.

Give me a good stainless 72 1/2 and I'm a happy camper. I also am very happy with a Hart and have been shaving with a Super Gnome for many years. Just goes to show that we don't have to be an advocate of one grind over another. We can be pragmatic. What works for us as an individual is what is important. Lets face it, that is what wet shaving (as we know it) is about anyway, do what works for you. There is not one grind to rule them all.
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ah, the Wonderedge! There was a tulip-mania moment in the early days of SRP on Yahoo when Lynn mentioned it was his favourite razor and all of a sudden they were selling for hundreds of dollars. I had a couple of Goldedges (still have, somewhere) but never found them special. Then there was the cynical attempt to create a myth about a certain razor that never needed stropping and was sharp enough to cut through diamonds even after forty shaves. I think that guy was just experimenting and found his niche for exploiting the market in the end. There is no magic razor, I agree. I prefer blades to be on the large side as they can collect more lather before I have to break rhythm and rinse it off, and I prefer them stiff - either by grind or by hardness. Of those two qualities, I'd generally put grind as more important, as you can have a quarter hollow of steel that isn't too hard and is thus easy to hone. The alternative is a very hard steel that will be stiff even fully hollowed, but it will be a pain to hone. All of life is finding a position of comfort between various compromises!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

drmoss_ca wrote:... Then there was the cynical attempt to create a myth about a certain razor that never needed stropping and was sharp enough to cut through diamonds even after forty shaves. I think that guy was just experimenting and found his niche for exploiting the market in the end. There is no magic razor, I agree....

Chris
That has always been a Chronik problem on some shaving forums