dovo-boker str8s

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
gil3591

dovo-boker str8s

Post by gil3591 »

ok, call me stupid but i am entertaining the thought of aquiring a str8 again. i don't want to get into honing, and straight razor designs seems to have a great deal on dovo or boker str8s with the strop being free ( A combo deal). i'll let them do the honing. i'll probably just use the str8 for a north to south pass initially. so my question is: there seems to be quite a model option amongst the dovos and there is also a boker on the list, should i just go with the cheapest on or is there a noticeable difference between the models as far as blade quality or shave quality?

ps, i can get the strop with either a cotton or wool backing. which would be preferable?

pss. 5/8 or 6/8?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The quality variances between the blades are almost entirely cosmetic. If you want a showboat then buy one that's pretty. If you just want something that will be a great shaver and last the rest of your life get a plain razor. The showboats have marginally better steel but this is negligable IMHO as it will still last the rest of your life. I do not detect any difference in shave qualityamong the blades.

My personal preference is a 6/8 as I have a coarse and somewhat dense beard.

I cannot comment on the strop choices as the only thing I've ever used personally is linen and leather. Don and Lynn are great guys and they will take good care of you.

Hope that helps.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gil, my first SR was a 4/8, simply because that was the size of the old razor I was trading a tube of SC for. It was just too small for me, but I did learn on it, and sold it at the first opportunity after I started to realize I really needed a little bit larger blade width. I still have two or three 5/8 SRs, and I like them as well as the 6/8 razors.

I have learned that if I happen to want to sell one, they usually are easy to resell in the forums if I've not got too much money tied up in it.

It's been my own experience that some 6/8 razors just seem to work better in my hands. I think most guys seem to start out with a 5/8, and I think, looking back two years ago, if I had bought a new 5/8 SR I would have been just fine with it.

I agree whole-heartedly with the statement that Don and Lynn's SRD is an excellent resource for all things related to SRs. I've had occasion to call the store, visit with Don, and received excellent customer service. Thumbs up!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Good advise above. The difference in steel quality between the high end and low end is a bit of a mystery. Dovo doesn't say much about it. I'm of the opinion that even if there is a difference, most of us wouldn't notice until gaining several years shaving, stropping, and honing experience!

My first razors were $20 to $35-dollar vintage from flea markets. My first new razor was a Dovo Special Tortoise 6/8.
matt321

Re: dovo-boker str8s

Post by matt321 »

gil3591 wrote:ps, i can get the strop with either a cotton or wool backing. which would be preferable?
I've tried cotton and the synthetic webbing. I also used the compressed wool a little. Folks on the forums seem to like them all. My personal favorite is a 2.5-inch wide Tony Miller smooth cotton canvas strop.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

since this thread is titled "dovo-boker str8s" i would be interested to know how these two razors differ? or are there equal ? etc etc

marc
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

marsos52 wrote:since this thread is titled "dovo-boker str8s" i would be interested to know how these two razors differ? or are there equal ? etc etc

marc
Marc, there's not a whole lot of difference and most of it is cosmetic. As far as function and durability both are pretty equal.

Chris
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks cris

i wanted to know about that,,there is a boker i really like,, i am always toying with the idea of getting a straight again..

havent used them since the 80's,,

marc
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i only was thinking of getting a str8 because they are so neet. but then i remembered a year ago when i was honing and slicing myself. then i remembered how the stress drained from my body when i went back to a de. i guess i'll save my money and satisfy my other ADS' :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ay ay ay! You're going to miss out on the most satisfying shaves known to mankind! It takes a commitment to learn the process, but when you get it, you have a reason to feel proud each morning known to very few.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Ay ay ay! You're going to miss out on the most satisfying shaves known to mankind! It takes a commitment to learn the process, but when you get it, you have a reason to feel proud each morning known to very few.

Chris
don, i'm old and my scars don't heal as they used to! :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer