Honing Question

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
shavedhead

Honing Question

Post by shavedhead »

I want to know the secret of getting the razor scary sharp. I have 4000, 8000, and 13000 stones. My fear is that I may have overhoned. How many strokes? Do you recommend the up and down or the X pattern? How does one correct overhoning? Please help me and give your secrets to success. The razor I am using is a Dovo carbon steel and full hollow grinded razor.
Have a wonderful shaving day
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Good question. What has been your honing experience to date? What have you researched and read? What brand hones are those you mentioned in your post? What is the condition of your Dovo? Factory edge? Vendor honed? Have you been shaving with it?

Maybe this feedback would help others offering advice.
Last edited by matt321 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Overhoning:

The term implies that the edge has been honed past the optimum and has degraded meaning the edge is starting to chip or that some type of burr is forming.

The conventional cure for over honing is one or more of the following:

1. Make a few spine forward strokes on the hone and then resume the normal edge forward process. (I think the idea here is that this will tear away the chipping or burr.)

2. Fall back to a coarser hone and reform the coarse bevel. (This would tend to grind away the chipping or burr.)
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Here is Martin at Rasurpur making it look easy. This looks heavy handed to me, but I've shaved with a couple razors from him and they were just as sharp as my own efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xr3JJlQ ... rofilepage
Last edited by matt321 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

I have done that and we will see what happens. The razor just doesn't shave like it used to and that is why I originally posted. It was tuggiing and pulling
matt321 wrote:Overhoning:

The term implies that the edge has been honed past the optimum and has degraded meaning the edge is starting to chip or that some type of burr is forming.

The conventional cure for over honing is one or more of the following:

1. Make a few spine forward strokes on the hone and then resume the normal edge forward process. (I think the idea here is that this will tear away the chipping or burr.)

2. Fall back to a coarser hone and reform the coarse bevel. (This would tend to grind away the chipping or burr.)
Have a wonderful shaving day
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

It would help if we knew the brand of stones you are using ????

4/8 I think of Norton but there are others

13k I have no idea which that is????
Always Very Respectfully

Glen