Can it be Restored ?????

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Gssixgun

Can it be Restored ?????

Post by Gssixgun »

One of the biggest questions I see in my PM /e-mail box as a restorer, and on the forums is this..

I found this razor on/in/at *** can it be restored????

First I always recommend that either you wait about 6 months before shopping on e-bay or until you don't have to ask that question

But for those that jump straight into the deep end here are some tips... 8)

I was actually shopping e-bay this past weekend for a razor specifically for a beginner... One of the guys here at work has decided to take the full plunge after I let him try it 2 weeks ago...

First thing I look for is a good name razor of Quality steel I found a Kinfolks for him (A Case family blade)

Here is the actual e-bay pic, the only one.. 8)

Here is what I looked at

I snagged the razor for $9.99, add shipping, he is in it $15.95

Some points:
See the rust??? see the red in the rust??? that tells me that it is active and most likely not too deep.. The black spots that some people refer to as "Patina" is normally "Devils Spit" and runs deep into the steel..

The general rule for me is
Shine = Woooohooooo Baby!!!!
Grey = Good
Red = Work
Black = Oh Crap a ton of work !!!

Look at the edge and spine I won't buy anything that is showing more than 1mm of wear I look for even wear if it is there at all...
Note the toe/point is it worn??? uneven???
Note the heel to edge relationship is it even??? is there a hook honed into it
Note the pivot, rust??? cracks??? pins???

Here is the same razor broken down on my bench

It needs a bit of cleaning and polishing, now I did this on my buffers -BUT- this razor could have been done by hand with wet-r-dry sandpaper in 1-2 hours of work and would look as good..

The scales were cleaned up with 400 grit sandpaper then re-polished with Blue Magic by hand.. The washers were cleaned on the 400 grit too so was the wedge..

And here are the cleaned up parts...

I will post the finished pics after work tonight, just a bit more hand polishing on the blade, on the wedge, and perhaps a touch of blue paint in the lettering still.. then re-pin and hone...

Hope this helps a bit when looking for used razors....
Last edited by Gssixgun on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Should be a shaver to be proud of - nicely cleaned up too.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice. 8)
Good advice on what to look for in vintage razors.
That style razor is the sweet spot on ebay these days. They can be had for $10 - $30 and will shave nicely for decades to come.
Gssixgun

Mint ??????? or a Restore ??????????

Post by Gssixgun »

And this my friends is the other side, of this quick lesson on E-bay purchases...Don't be afraid to ask what you are buying... An honest seller discloses that the razor has been restored, and is no longer factory fresh...
But has been cleaned, polished, and is now what I call a "Vintage Restore"...
Yes even the lettering can sometimes be brought back...

So this serves both purposes it allows you to see what to look for when buying not so pretty stuff and gives an idea of what you can do with restorations... Plus it shows what you might be paying for when buying what you might think is NIB/Mint/NOS

Always Very Respectfully

Glen
SRD

Post by SRD »

Great job Glenn.
Dave