Cart ahead of the horse

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Books

Cart ahead of the horse

Post by Books »

Since I decided to start Straight shaving I have kept an eye out for straights while out and about.

I haven't even started shaving with a straight and I ran across 3 straights that I just couldn't pass up.
I probably paid too much for them for the condition they were in, but I couldn't leave them where they were. I'm not sure about restore costs, but I think it's worth investing in these 3.

I think the cases have had it..

Blade Reads - American Razor - The shank reads Wade & Butcher Sheffield England.
ImageImageImage

Tang Reads:Frederick Reynolds - Shefeield
ImageImageImage

Blade Reads - Wade & Butcher Celebrated Fine India Steel Razor - Sheffied
ImageImageImage

I picked up the first one for 25 dollars, while the guy was ringing me up, he mentioned that he knew of an out of the way bed and breakfast that also sold antiques.
The guy who owned it would simply buy out an entire estate and sell off the contents. The clerk gave me a map with directions and off I went...

By the time I got there I was almost 3 hours from home and I didn't want to leave empty handed so I paid him 120 for the other two.

So did I pay way too much for these?
Bob
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

you did ok I think on price. you didn't steal them but you didn't get ripped off.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

any pics of the other 2..?..depending on the condition you may have done well

ST
brothers

Post by brothers »

Books, I think you did very well. Congratulations. You might strike up a conversation with one of the gents who work on razors. Someone might be interested in restoring and sharpening them for a few bucks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice. Those are in good condition considering how old they are. They would be stunning with a tastful restoration. However, you could also just clean, metal polish, and hone and they would shave just as well.
Books

Post by Books »

I'm don't know anything about honing... YET... and I'm not going to risk learning on these. I'm going to get them restored and at least 1 rescaled and will have them honed then...
Bob