Honing Videos !!!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Gssixgun

Honing Videos !!!

Post by Gssixgun »

I have finally learned enough about computers and cameras, to actually put some Honing Videos up on youtube "at this time".... (you will understand that joke if you watch the vids :D

Here is a link to my channel, hehehe ain't I a cool old dog, I even know what a channel is now :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gssixgun?feature=mhum

Hope they help and don't raise more questions than answers...
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

So...you can do ALOT to a razor than just honing?

ST
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

Sorry Tank, I am not quite getting the question there, I would love to answer it for you, but I need just a little clarification....

TYIA
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Gssixgun wrote:Sorry Tank, I am not quite getting the question there
Me neither, but I'm slow at times.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I've watched some of these in the past. Will watch more I'm sure.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I just noticed at the beginning your were honing the bottom "corner" of the razor

ST
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

SmallTank wrote:I just noticed at the beginning your were honing the bottom "corner" of the razor..as apposed to honing the entire blade n pressing the blade down on the hone

ST
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

SmallTank wrote:I just noticed at the beginning your were honing the bottom "corner" of the razor

ST

Ahhh yes you are probably watching the "Breadknifing Video",,, as that warning says that is "Restoration" not honing...

That vid is of a complete re-contour of the entire edge, and is a very advanced technique...It precedes actual honing and should not be used except when doing actual restoration....

I am trying to remember if I rounded the heel back, on any of the other videos of regular honing...
Sometimes, you are at a certain point in the razors life that the heel and the edge can form a hook, because the stabilizer has met the bevel.. If that happens you have to grind back the heel stabilizer or it will just continue to get worse back there...
In the Breadknifing video I cause that rather quickly because of the amount of steel that had to come off the edge,,, I removed a ton of steel there, that normally would have taken years, but took just minutes... That is a rather rare occurrence, but I had the opportunity to catch it on video so I took it ....
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nice! A very good visual resource for newbies. Thanks, Glen.

Chris
Sando

Post by Sando »

Thanks, Glen. Your videos never fail to inform no matter how many times I watch them. I feel like I'm standing right there as you're honing. It's actually better that I'm not since you'd get nowhere answering one dumb question after another.

...Ray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am a visual learner, and I agree with Sando. Watching you work while you're explaining it is a big help. Basically that's what the rest of the videos do too, but it seems like you "speak to me" maybe a bit more than the others. Sometimes they'll say something that may be a bit of insider jargon or maybe too basic, and that tends to confuse and distract me more. Anyway, I like to watch and hopefully learn.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Very helpful videos.

I have a question about your "X" strokes, but I'm not sure if I can phrase it clearly. Here goes.

Your X strokes look like "italic" X strokes rather than the X than comes on the screen when I type it. When I do an X stroke on my coticule, it's a pretty uniform stroke, and yours looks more like a straight trip down the hone with a sort of flourish at the end of the stroke that brings the razor to the edge of the hone. Am I over analyzing, or is there a benefit to that sort of stroke?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

Dominic, First off we have a SR meet up in Denver in July I will be there just like last year, and I will show you all the them in person hehehe

But until then, I use 2 different X strokes in those vids one is exactly as you described and is used in that Vid of a smiling edge called a Swooping Stroke used off the 45 degree X stroke...

You can also twist that into a standard X stoke to help avoid a frown and keep a VERY gentle smile to your edge...(Recommended by many of the old Barbers manual as a better shaving edge)

Then I use a standard X stoke but keep in mind I never have the razor at a right angle to the hone so it might look a touch funny from the angle I was shooting at... I always use a slight heel forward cant when I hone and the reverse when I strop... I believe that it lines up the striations in the steel and cuts hair better... I have ZERO proof of that, but it makes my OCD feel better :lol:
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Denver meet up eh? Sounds like a great way to learn some dark arts!
(I just found the discussion of it on SRP. I have a nasty feeling I'll be in France when it happens :evil: )

I like the idea of my blade having a gentle smile, so I'm going to experiment with the swoop.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic