Eskilstuna SSA Sweden, pulled me out of the darkness

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Eskilstuna SSA Sweden, pulled me out of the darkness

Post by brothers »

I consider it between a half and a quarter hollow. Got this little gem in a group of someone's castoffs on ebay. It had a good sized chunk chipped off the heel. I Honed it out and then honed it up, and what used to be a bit more than 5/8 and headed for the scrap pile is now barely a 5/8, with one h*** of an edge. Good steel in that Swedish blade. Test shave this morning was everything I'd hoped it would be. Silent and as smooth as butter.

I've posted a photo below. I know this isn't the prettiest or flashiest razor in the world. Actually, it's about as plain and bland looking as possible. Man alive, does it shave!

There's another thing I want to say. Thanks to this razor, I've recaptured what I thought I'd lost for a few months. I thought I'd lost the ability to get a wicked edge with the equipment I have. Now, I've found my mojo! Honing is fun again, and I hope it just gets better from now on.

For the past 12 months I was having a horrific time trying to sharpen a special razor that simply would not hold an edge. Someone who knows a lot more about stuff than I do helped me understand what it is about that specific razor that makes it no good as a razor, notwithstanding it's good looks and bloodline. Confirmed what I had been thinking, not from expertise, but just from my personal battle with that particular artifact.

Yesterday at the flea market I unearthed an H. & J.W. King Razor, etched with "King's Hollow Ground" on the blade. an old barber's notch heavy grind manufactured sometime between 1857 and 1876, when the company went out of business, in New York. They were known as "Importers of Fine Englilsh Cutlery" which makes this old razor most likely of Sheffield lineage. Somewhere between 154 and 135 years old. Hone wear is minor. This is the razor in the second photo below.

It probably hadn't been sharpened for a hundred years. It's somewhat of a stubtail. Of course, it's an ugly razor, considering all of the age-darkening patina it's taken on. No rust though, remarkably. Scales are most likely bone dyed black, with a couple of the characteristic little round holes. The pins and scales are bound to be the originals. I've still got to tighten up the pivot pin in the next couple of days.

It's barely a quarter hollow, resembles a near-wedge, and the edge this one took on is a sight to behold. The old steel in that blade looks like velvet under magnification. It was popping hair off my arm coming off the 8K Norton. I finished it on a 12K Naniwa, followed by the Shapton 16K, 10 laps on the Shapton 30K, then through the white pasted leather and CrOx leather, canvas, cowhide Illinios strop and Russian horsehide.

Tomorrow's the test shave with that one. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll come back and post, good or bad. :roll:

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Maybe they are ugly, but if you honed them and they shave you will always love them. I shouldn't generalise too much, but I think you'll find the Eskilstuna razor keeps its edge longer than the Sheffield.

Can you tell us what was finally diagnosed as being wrong with your stubborn razor?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Nice razors. I'm sure they appreciate the TLC and will serve you well.

Funny how honing success boosts the spirit and failure the opposite. Sort of a "I hone therefore I am" thing.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's shave with the old King was actually quite a good one. It's not newsworthy that shaving with a DE and a favorite blade is generally going to be very smooth. In my case, getting a close shave with an SR I've sharpened myself is pleasing on a different level.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:Maybe they are ugly, but if you honed them and they shave you will always love them. I shouldn't generalise too much, but I think you'll find the Eskilstuna razor keeps its edge longer than the Sheffield.

Can you tell us what was finally diagnosed as being wrong with your stubborn razor?

Chris

Chris, I think you're right about the Swedish steel. Regarding the other article, it involves issues of geometry and design. It doesn't matter now, since that one's easily fulfilling it's destiny to be something to look at rather than something that works. Kind of like some folks, some are nice to look at, and others actually do what they're expected to do. Wow! did I say that? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad to say the name on it isn't mine!
Gary

liam34

Post by liam34 »

Hey brothers really great sharing. Thanks.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Spent some quality time with the hones/strops this past weekend. Am looking forward to a few rewarding SR shaves in the coming days and weeks, encouraged by one of the best shaves ever from a big full hollow Clauss, the first test shave of the group. I haven't yet had a chance to test the most recent acquisition, another SSA (a 6/8 quarter hollow, NOS in appearance). I'll know the results of that one in a few more days. This SR trip is turning out to be a challenging and potentially rewarding exercise.

Edit: Having something very interesting that makes us want to learn and excel in, is important. Here's what I'm learning at the currrent time --- know what you want in an edge, become familiar with the tools and materials at hand, take the time it takes to learn how to use your hands and your eyes to achieve the results you want, and then do your best with what you have. Don't be afraid to put aside the tools that don't work and get the ones that do. The results will follow, given enough time and desire to succeed. I'm not there yet.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up --- it's almost two months since I've honed my razors, as mentioned. I've been faithfully rotating among them, and today enjoyed a great shave with my full hollow Clauss. This was, I think, the 3rd or 4th round. I'm sitting here this afternoon still pretty darn happy with the quality of these SR shaves I've been enjoying. Maybe this time, about 2 1/2 years since I started using SRs, I've finally lucked into the correct hones and strops, and maybe I've learned something about how they need to be used to get what I want from the razors. Maybe they won't be needing to be honed again until around July. This is turning out to be fun, depending on how long these edges hold out.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And you know what? It gets better as you get better. I'm still finding new heights of delight after all these years.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Congratulations Gary! I'm happy for you. Reading your post helps remind me how much I enjoy shaving with a straight. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from doing it all yourself. And the link to history just magnifies this for me.
-Stephen
jss

Post by jss »

WTG Gary..Persevere my friend....

Best regards,
Julian
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:And you know what? It gets better as you get better. I'm still finding new heights of delight after all these years.

Chris
Chris, you're right. I used the SSA 6/8 quarter hollow this evening. Delightful. The straight razor shave is very comforting.
whitebar wrote:Congratulations Gary! I'm happy for you. Reading your post helps remind me how much I enjoy shaving with a straight. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from doing it all yourself. And the link to history just magnifies this for me.
Stephen, I hope you're checking SMF regularly these days, my friend. Haven't seen you around lately. When I use straight razors I think I enjoy them more and more as time passes.
Gary

brothers

Re: Eskilstuna SSA Sweden, pulled me out of the darkness

Post by brothers »

This evening I gave the SSA a careful sharpening, and enjoyed the shave a lot. Being a 1/4 hollow, it's silent as it glides along, wiping off the whiskers like butter. This was a full 3 pass shave because that's what I like to do. Especially when the razor's on top of it's game. Now I'm looking forward to the next time this one comes up.
Gary

EL Alamein

Re: Eskilstuna SSA Sweden, pulled me out of the darkness

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote:This evening I gave the SSA a careful sharpening, and enjoyed the shave a lot. Being a 1/4 hollow, it's silent as it glides along, wiping off the whiskers like butter. This was a full 3 pass shave because that's what I like to do. Especially when the razor's on top of it's game. Now I'm looking forward to the next time this one comes up.
Great post, Gary. It is indeed satisfying when you have an old faithful around to remind you what it's all about.

Chris