Paddle Preference

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Zot!

Paddle Preference

Post by Zot! »

I find that I prefer using my SRD paddle over my SRD hanging latigo strop lately. I'm not sure why. I can sit down while stropping and relax a bit more. I use a bit slower stropping method and I don't have to worry about tension or cupping of the strop.

Anyone else prefer a paddle over a hanging strop?
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I use a paddle strop all the time these days. A paddle strop needs to be flat and level above all else if it is to have an advantage over a hanging strop. My SRD paddle has a rough (inner side of the leather) side and a smooth side. The smooth side has developed a ridge across the paddle, where the glue hasn't worked out as it was supposed to do. This makes it unusable. I have three TI paddles, of which one has flat, uniform surfaces. This is the one that I use each day. Both sides of the paddle have the rough/inner side of the leather facing outwards. One is black and one is brown. The black side is softer, but has larger dermal pegs, whilst the brown side is harder with smaller dermal pegs. Currently, I use the black after a shave as an equivalent to the canvas side of a hanging strop, and the brown side comes into play before a shave. The other two TI paddles are imperfect in terms of flatness, evenness and so on. Very much a hit or miss proposition when it comes to buying one. So why bother? Because if you do get a good one it takes a lot of the variables out of stropping. With a paddle the only variable left that makes a difference is how hard you press. When you have a lot of razors, and want to explore the differences between steels, grinds, hones etc you need to make something consistent!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

My stropping is done on strops laying flat on the countertop. Some are glued on wooden planks, others are repurposed hanging strops. As has been said, can be done sitting, no worries about tension, maybe it helps me pay closer attention to detail. I know some guys strop twice between shaves, once immediately after, and one just before shaving. I only do it once, usually the night before the morning shave.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

I also use a paddle strop. I received a recommendation not to use hanging strop, because with it a razor gets dull more easily
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
brothers

Post by brothers »

Giammi, I feel the same way about using the strops while hanging, for that reason. Once I stopped doing it that way, I never looked back.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I use a TI paddle strop because that's what Chris suggested for my starting out. I've had no issues with it. I am however going cross-eyed reading about all these hones...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

My SRD paddle works fine. I worry about warping though. I think a little convexing of the surface is ok. However, cupping into a concave surface is a disaster. The razor cannot reach the strop surface and will only ride on the edges. I wish they were built with a slightly rounded (convex) surface for that reason, especially for 3-inch wide models.

I don't own a padded paddle strop, but I suppose that would solve some of this.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Here are some demo paddle strop videos:

My SRD 3" paddle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHN8gyOTSA

My TI narrow paddle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOTvF6oY1A
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Thanks all. Why worry about warping? Is it a common thing with paddles? Are the smaller paddles less prone to warping or dermal pegs? Seems like I have a lot of questions lately... :D
Ron
Heirphoto

Post by Heirphoto »

Wooden paddles are sometimes prone to warping. Wood, like leather, both being natural materials will move over time. A maker can only do so much to use the best wood available, cut properly and dried properly but no telling what will happen down the road.

I always worried about my 3" wide maple paddles for just this reason. I checked everyone with a straight edge before shipping across many directions to be sure they were flat but I always worried they would move later.

No compalints so far though.

Tony
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com