Robert Williams "The Purist" Custom 6/8 Straight R

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
marsos52

Robert Williams "The Purist" Custom 6/8 Straight R

Post by marsos52 »

i saw this razor and it blew me away...

i want it so bad..i see posts on other forums ...but i cant find a web site or how to get in touch with the maker

maybe some one hear has some info to share..

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thats for that link..

he has a 14 month turn over time.. so i guess people really like his razors

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was interested in the Purista few months ago, and someone told me (not Mr. Williams --- I emailed him and got no response!) that he only made a limited number of those razors, and they're no longer available except from individuals. Whether that's true, I have no idea. I might still be interested, I'm just not very hopeful of ever using one, at the moment. That could be because I'm enjoying my conventional straight razors very much.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

when i was that razor it spoke to me..i havent used a straight razor in many years..

i would like to get back into it again..

i dont know if mr williams will make that model now,, but i have found
two for sale..

i really would like to have one, but i cant justify the price when i am not
sure if it is something i will stick with

marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If it is the design that appeals, then there is no alternative but to either buy one, or commission a custom with a similar kamisori type handle. I think it would only be honest and fair to respect Mr Williams by ensuring the design is not a direct copy. (Gabor is relatively speedy, and does great work. I don't know if he has made anything like this but I'd bet he would be game to try.)

But if you are interested in trying the kamisori style handle without the kamisori asymmetric blade, then it would be easy to take the scales off a conventional straight and affix the tang into a wooden handle (bamboo? Chisel handle?) simply to try shaving that way.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Several weeks ago, a member on SRP notified me that someone was selling a similar razor called "The Plagiarist" that had been made by Josh Earl as an homage to Robert Williams' Purist. I didn't buy it because I had just purchased a quarter hollow NOS SSA 6/8, and wasn't looking around for anything else at that time. I'm still not, honestly. I'm just eternally curious about any mention of the Purist.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SliceOfLife

Post by SliceOfLife »

There are also vintage ones called "The Real"

They are much lighter, not nearly as nice of course, but they're a very functional western made, nonfolding straight razor. Patent Feb 10 1903
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

My impression was that Robert would make anything you ask for once you firmly establish a slot in his production queue.

You just need to be very specific about the design that you want, get a quote and then pay the estimated price. He is pleasant and easy to work with and the razors are stunning works of American craftsmanship. This man is responsible for me not owning a Livi. :)
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I can tell you about this right now. I believe I am going on a 9 month wait right now for a razo. The razor I was suppose to receive, was to be finished in February. I still havent received any confirmation that it is even being worked on yet.

Robert surely is a busy man. Im saying average wait time for one of his customs would be 1+ years.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well I ordered and paid for another Livi on the 8th January of this year and haven't got it yet. I have never had to wait so long for any of the previous eight I have bought. My experience with ordering a custom from Gabor was so easy. I sent him a design, he made it and it came. Beautiful work too.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

marc, williams sonoma have bread knives that look very similar to the razor you posted......buy one, get dr moss to hone it for you, and walla, you are set!! joisey ingenuity HAHAHAHa

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

That is interesting to hear Chris. I know that my last Livi took approximately 4 months to receive. I was thinking about purchasing another, but think I will wait if its taking this long.

Do you have information for the Gabor razor you were talking about?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This one.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Robert Williams "The Purist" Custom 6/8 Straight R

Post by drmoss_ca »

You might not be the only one with a penchant for zombie threads, Gary. I've had a Purist for a few years, but never managed to make it shave decently. Looking for a razor to hone today, I came across it and used my slurry dilution stages on a Belgian blue, coticule, Thuringian, Escher, Suehiro Gokumyo, Shapton Pro 30k, then red, green and black pastes. I'm not a great fan of kamisoris in use; I find the lack of scales awkward, and the 2" blade on this razor doesn't cover the territory like a 3". Nonetheless, the shave was remarkable. I know, generally speaking I never have bad shaves. After so many years of homing and using straights I have no excuse for anything less than, shall we say, very good. But there is very good, excellent and then there is remarkable. This one was remarkable. Very stiff blade, little feedback, didn't really feel like it was cutting, but things got very smooth. Rather than my usual two passes downwards that keep me happy these days, I made the second pass ATG, and that's where I really felt the difference. Just no resistance or discomfort at all going up under the chin, and a glassy result. This razor is going to see some regular use, and I hope I get used to the strange configuration.

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It did it again today. I don't quite have the words to describe the shave: there is some quality to it that is unusual. It's smooth, but like stroking corduroy rather than velvet. Bumps, but low amplitude bumps. It feels unlike other razors, but not in a bad way. I shall try to contact Mr Williams and ask about the steel used.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is a Purist razor by Mr. Williams up for auction (you know where), said to be an original prototype. To my eye it appears to have extreme spine wear from honing. Maybe an optical illusion.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Seems it is O1 steel, but treated and tempered to a final hardness of 63HRC. It certainly takes a little more honing than the O1 in a Hart at 62HRC.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace