Str8 vs Double edge

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
jbc

Str8 vs Double edge

Post by jbc »

Do oyu get a closer shave with a well sharpened and hined str8 then with a double edge? I tend to pick up my beloved Dovo Inox on the week-ends and I find I get a better shave.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
EL Alamein

Re: Str8 vs Double edge

Post by EL Alamein »

jbc wrote:Do oyu get a closer shave with a well sharpened and hined str8 then with a double edge? I tend to pick up my beloved Dovo Inox on the week-ends and I find I get a better shave.
I haven't picked up my DE and shaved with it in years but I recall that last shave with it and being impressed that it was as close as a straight razor. I recall it was not as forgiving to the skin as a straight though. Originally I kept my DE (which was my father's as a young man) for times when I'm in a pinch or for when I go traveling. And actually since I've been traveling lately I removed it from my Dopp to make room so I can't even say I have it as a backup for travel anymore.

I'll probably shave with it for nostalgia or perhaps in the highly unlikely scenario that I don't have a keen straight available to me and a shave can't wait until I do. Other than those two scenarios I'll stick with my straights as I prefer the shave.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The shave might not start out quite as close, but it seems to last longer, probably because of the frayed ends of the stubble rather than the pointy sliced ends from a DE. But the increased satisfaction is enormous. Anyway, a DE is too easy. (Ducks and runs for cover!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

drmoss_ca wrote:The shave might not start out quite as close, but it seems to last longer, probably because of the frayed ends of the stubble rather than the pointy sliced ends from a DE. But the increased satisfaction is enormous. Anyway, a DE is too easy. (Ducks and runs for cover!)

Chris
...Throws duck...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Once "trained" your hands with a straight razor..nothing comes close..25% closer than ANY DE as the posts I have read in the past..im glad I tried em to compare..though DE is easier on the eyes/brain :lol:
less need to focus

ST
brothers

Post by brothers »

The SR vs DE shaves are different. Generally speaking, a DE blade is going to be consistently sharp, in contrast to the possibility that a SR's edge may not be as well maintained as it should have been, on a given day. A consistently good SR shave is a source of personal satisfaction worth pursuing.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

SmallTank wrote:Once "trained" your hands with a straight razor..nothing comes close..25% closer than ANY DE as the posts I have read in the past..im glad I tried em to compare..though DE is easier on the eyes/brain :lol:
less need to focus

ST
ST, respectfully, I'd question the 25% statistic. It's not only the technique, it's the ability to maintain the edge. Mr. Gillette "invented" his version of the DE because of the inherent peculiarities of shaving with a straigh razor. Undoubtedly the DE is easier, and I have no problem with that! :lol: Many guys have responsibilities and schedules that literally do not permit them enough time, resources, and opportunities to take on the unique substantial challenges associated with using straight razors regularly to shave with.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I doubt that most users of straights can get as close a shave as an experianced DE shaver can. But, as was pointed out, the whiskers feel different as they grow back in and the traditional straight ( NOT a version with a disposible blade ) is probably easier on the skin than any other style of razor.
Regards,
Gordon
RetroGrouch

Post by RetroGrouch »

You can get great shaves from either, but to me a straight is just more fun and rewarding. Of course it's more difficult and there's much more maintenance involved, but that makes it more interesting.

There's a great satisfaction that comes from shaving with a razor you've honed yourself, rather like catching a fish with your own fly.

Straights also have an advantage if you have facial hair you want to sculpt around. I have a little goat, and people have actually asked me, "How the hell do you shave that little area under your nose?"

Mike
Blacksetter

Post by Blacksetter »

This thread is very timely for me..
I just spent a year exclusively with my straight razors. The day before yesterday, I shaved DE with a brand new blade. Not being able to remember what a DE shave felt like, I was expecting fairly similar performance to a straight. For me at least, the shave was not even close, and left a fair amount of stubble on my neck... a bit disheartening, because I was expecting a better performance.
I'm not discounting the fact that it could possibly be me.. I can just hit more different angles and be more precise with a straight than DE..

As is always the case... YMMV.
Better a diamond with a flaw than a polished pebble... Bill Brown

A Sporting Dog should Sport... Norm Sorby
SharpClaw

Post by SharpClaw »

I think straight razor shaves are closer at least for me. i get a bbs shave in areas like my chin and along my jaw line that where not possible with a DE.

I think part of it is due to the better feedback i get from the straight razor thus allowing me to get a better shave.
Sol

Maher & Grosh Str8
Kingsley Tortoise Silver
Tabac Shave Soap
Nivea Soft
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

There are portions of my face that are incredibly smooth and simply can't be duplicated with a DE - the goal however is to get this result on the other portions of my face...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
du212

Post by du212 »

I have experienced the same feelings as Blacksetter. Once you spend the time needed to improve the shaving with a straight you start to obtain rewards, ...

first: the razors become sharper....without honing or stropping with pastes, simply by improving the angles, the pressure, the handling...

second: the practice gives a better control of the razor day by day, and some areas of the face start to be easy and better shaved.

Today I obtain close shaves from a DE, but I prefer a straight razor for the closest shave, and a DE for a carefree shave.
· · · · · Jose · · · · · ·
foroafeitado.com wetshaving in spanish
asharperrazor

Post by asharperrazor »

I like to think of the difference as driving with a stick v. automatic.

One allows more control over all the variables and better gas mileage, the other decides what you want for you.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I can't really agree with that. While a straight has even more variability then a DE, a classic DE still has a good deal....as most first time users find out ( chuckle ). Something like a Mach 3 'shaves for you', but a DE does not.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

asharperrazor wrote:I like to think of the difference as driving with a stick v. automatic.

One allows more control over all the variables and better gas mileage, the other decides what you want for you.
Perhaps the difference is more along the lines of eliminating all of the expense, time, effort, and equipment needed to actually create and maintain the shaving edge.

Regarding the transmission scenario, there "used to be" many guys who could and did remove, rebuild, and replace their own clutches and manual transmissions, because they enjoyed the control gained from the manual vs. automatics. Talk about expense, time, effort, and necessary tools and equipment!

Getting back to razors, there is a premium associated with the use of SRs, and it's mostly a matter of personal preference, and certainly a matter of unique personal satisfaction in being able to use and maintain a SRs that is simply not involved in the use of DEs and disposable multi-use blades.

Lee, I agree with you regarding the "control" that is required (not optional) to properly shave with an SR. While it is desirable to use a similarly high degree of control (technique) with a DE razor, excellent results, as we all know, are easily attainable with a DE when we pay attention and focus on what we're doing.

It's the VAST majority of guys who could care less about shaving that run screaming away from anything except their expensive cartridges, who will never understand how enjoyable a properly executed shave with an SR or DE can become, if they become aware that they have the power to more closely control their technique and their choice of equipment.
Gary