Le Grelot 1/4 grind

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Le Grelot 1/4 grind

Post by brothers »

I just missed buying one from a B&B guy by a few minutes. Dang it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Wish I could help you out Gary but I've only one left myself. I sold off the B&B version and kept the ram's horn scaled version from Rasage Poulin in Canada. They really are nice shavers but one was enough. If I see one somewhere, I'll let you know.

Here's mine.
-Stephen
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a mighty nice razor Stephen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got WTB notices listed in several forums now. I'm thinking positive! The Hart and the SSA have made it obvious that I "need" at least one more of these so I can shave properly. That's all there is to it!
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have the EJ version on the wall of shame. I didn't think it anything special. If you want a good thick 1/4 grind I'd steer you towards a Wacker (but be prepared for some serious honing!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

brothers wrote:I've got WTB notices listed in several forums now. I'm thinking positive! The Hart and the SSA have made it obvious that I "need" at least one more of these so I can shave properly. That's all there is to it!
What about those 'Grelot-likes' that Rasurpur are selling?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I deleted my WTB post, I've decided to re-think my decision on this. FYI, there was a beautiful LG razor that became available, and I wanted it so bad! However, I reluctantly had to refrain from buying it, due to having made this difficult decision.
Gary

matt321

Post by matt321 »

I got this one from Rasurpur back when they had a bunch of them.
post image wordpress
Last edited by matt321 on Sun May 15, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastTexasMan

Post by EastTexasMan »

I bought that 1/4 grind LeGrot at B&B.It is a wonderful shaver,the grind is just near perfect.

Paul
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Paul. Welcome to SMF.
Gary

SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

anyone notice a difference between 1/2 and 1/4 hollow versus extra hollow or singing hollow blades?..some people told me there is hardly anything noticeable

ST
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt, that picture is my ideal. If you ever find another razor like that one, please let me know! Thanks for posting it. I almost had myself convinced I really don't need one of those. Bummer.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

SmallTank wrote:anyone notice a difference between 1/2 and 1/4 hollow versus extra hollow or singing hollow blades?..some people told me there is hardly anything noticeable

ST
ST, there are differences. You need to experience those differences for yourself. Don't go by what somebody may have told you.
Gary

SliceOfLife

Post by SliceOfLife »

In how they cut? I don't notice much. (The exception being full wedges, which I find lacking in closeness (to the shave) on any finish). I would say that heavier grinds seem a bit more forgiving towards coarser finishes. Extremely hollow grinds tend to get noisy on some finishes that heavier ones wouldn't, some of my crunchier coticule finishes and mid/high synths (like barbers synths, and 6-8k JIS). I don't feel a difference in the shave, but the audio is a little surprising if you aren't used to it. Of course a lot of variables are in play, so everyone will have different responses for you.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

ok..the sounds of it..yea thats what I though..I have 2 razors..thats all I really can afford and thnx for awhile...for the info!
WBK

Post by WBK »

matt321 wrote:I got this one from Rasurpur back when they had a bunch of them.
post image wordpress
That is a beauty, I love the look of shoulderless grinds!
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

drmoss_ca wrote:I have the EJ version on the wall of shame. I didn't think it anything special. If you want a good thick 1/4 grind I'd steer you towards a Wacker (but be prepared for some serious honing!)

Chris
I am interested in what goes on your wall of shame, Dr. Moss. I take it that it is something bought that is regretted?
Ron
matt321

Post by matt321 »

+1, me too. What is this wall of which you speak?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The end wall of the office consulting room is covered with display cases with straights in them. Then there are all the brushes and strops.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EastTexasMan

Post by EastTexasMan »

Raspur.de says on their web site that he will have 1/4 grind Le Grelots for sale at the end of July and 3/4 grinds at the end of September.
This might be the last chance to get a new 1/4 grind Le Grelot.