feather artist club RG... yay or nay??

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
marsos52

feather artist club RG... yay or nay??

Post by marsos52 »

so i came across some you tubes.. people shaving and reviewing this razor.. all positive..

so i search the internet for reviews.. i find alot of info and again its positive.. some say its shaves as good as a straight.. some say the shave is closer. less forgiving..

and some say the biggest difference is the blade angle.. you need to have the blade flatter to your face..

some say 5 to 10 shaves from a blade,, some say 3 to 5,,,

now its your turn to tell me about your findings PLEASE

thanks
marc
joe mcclaine

Re: feather artist club RG... yay or nay??

Post by joe mcclaine »

marsos52 wrote:so i came across some you tubes.. people shaving and reviewing this razor.. all positive..

so i search the internet for reviews.. i find alot of info and again its positive.. some say its shaves as good as a straight.. some say the shave is closer. less forgiving..

and some say the biggest difference is the blade angle.. you need to have the blade flatter to your face..

some say 5 to 10 shaves from a blade,, some say 3 to 5,,,

now its your turn to tell me about your findings PLEASE

thanks
marc
Brilliant razor.

Sharp - but it does in one pass what other razors do in two or three.

Nothing to be scared of. I shaved my head with a brand new blade with no dramas.

Can be a bit harsh if you shave every day with one. Some people (me included) have experienced skin thinning . . . or something like that.

I used to save it for weekend shaves when I could take my time.

With one-pass shaves I lost count of the number of shaves per blade. Certainly into double figures - maybe pushing 20.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Depends on the face..I would say..never tried one..but thats only cause I have 2 carbon steel str8 razors and a bunch of other razors :lol:

ST
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I used one for about a year. You have to take more care than normal as it is sharp enough to sink under its own weight. You get very close shaves and don't have to hone. But my skin couldn't take that degree of closeness all the time and in the end I went back to conventional straight. Quality wise they are excellent - not flimsy like many disposable blade straights.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks for the feedback..

i would be interested to know which of the two blade versions you found best to use...

i know there are three verions but i am not interested in the wrapped blade

and how many shaves did you generally get from a blade

thanks again
marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Professional Super blades were preferred over the Professional by everyone I spoke to - less likely to bite you and longer lasting. The Light blades didn't exist then and I haven't tried them. They seem to be the same as the Professional blade with slightly less edge protruding from the holder. I've never used the wire-wrapped blades either. If you want to try one out, remember that the blade is sharp enough to cut without pulling at angles far less than 30º. You can even shave with the razor flat on your skin, and this might be safest for a start. I used to use one blade once a day for two weeks. Generally the second week was the nicer, as it was a bit less bitey.
I have a DX and an RG, both with teak handles. I see classicshaving are charging $209.99 for the teak RG, and $23.99 for 20 blades of any kind. Their cheapest RG with a plastic handle is $149.99. I'll sell you mine with an unopened 20-pack of the Professional blades, and another of the Professional Super blades all at half price. That would be $128.98. If you'd like to pay for a padded envelope and the postage (I won't know the amount till I get to the post office) I'll throw in a soft black leather pouch for the razor for free.

No pressure - just there if you want it.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
paddy

Post by paddy »

what are the main differences between the RG and the DX?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The DX is solid stainless steel with a satin finish, and the RG is brass with a chromium plating that is also satin rather than shiny. The only difference in reality is that the RG might eventually show some brassing where the plating wears off. This is desirable in black paint Leicas:

(and if you don't know who Jim Marshall was, I suggest you look him up and weep).

Here are two Feather Artist Club razors, with the DX above the RG:

You can see there is a difference in surface texture. They both shave the same, although one sounds slightly different - the brass razor emits a slightly higher ping as a hair is cut.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

pm sent to you chris
paddy

Post by paddy »

thanks chris.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Did a 2-pass shave with my RG loaded with a Professional blade this morning on a 2-day growth. It was damn near perfect. I think my use of conventional straights over the last several months has further improved my technique with the Feather.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Long time no see, guys! The Feather w/ the super pro blades was my daily shave for about two years, then I moved on to straights for a goodly while, then I had a broken collarbone repaired, and moved back to the Feather to avoid the strop. Somewhere in there, when I broke the collarbone, maybe, I had an interlude with the good old DE, but that never really floated my boat. I'm dabbling w/ the idea of going back to the straights now, but that Feather is just so damn smooth I'm finding it tough to move back. Of course, that big old ERN is just chanting to me, and that Red Imp just feels great in my hand. There's just something appealing about bringing a blade to an edge, and then shaving with it.

Long story short, the Feather is a great shave. About a year and a half in, I thought the thin skin thing was happening, but the syndrome just eventually went away for me, never to appear again. Of course, the price of blades seems to have doubled since I started using them oh so long ago, so it's not near the bargain it once was.

The purist will argue forever about whether the AC is a straight or not, but I'm more into what feels nice and what satisfies me these days. I enjoy a straight shave. I've had some pretty sharp razors honed by myself, and even a honemeister or three bringing blades to vorpal status with insanely find diamond sprays on balsa till hairs just fall over due to syncope when they find themselves in the same room with these blades, but none of them approaches the wipe-the-whiskers-off-your-face feel that the well-wielded Feather provides.

Scott
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Marc, what did you think of the Feathers (assuming you received the ones that Dr. Moss generously offered)?
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Paddy has the razor and a couple of packs of blades now (at least, I hope he does!)

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Paddy, did you receive or try the Feathers? :?:
Ron
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i didnt (although is was tempting) get the feather chris offered me...

i want a strainght to be a gentle to my face shave not to get skin thinning
and all that..

i have used straight razors in the 80's for about a year and a half
i did quite well with it..and i wasnt as informed about sharping and maintance as well as beard prep and technique and i didnt have good brushes and soaps back then..

si i am thinking that maybe i should give it a try again with my increased knowledge and expeirence and the help of smf users

marc
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

marc do you still have a straight razor?
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

no squire,, i wish i did,, when i first joined smf, i realized i had the razor and strop and hone and had not used it in so many years.. so i sold in in the selling and buying section..

i told myself i would never use it again so off it went..

i was shaving really good it the straight back then.. i admit it took me a year to be able to shave my entire face..

i stopped using the razor because one day i cleaned it a honed it. and put a light coat of oil on it.. and i left it in the end table in my living room.

and friend stopped over and sat down and we were talking and he noticed the razor and picked it up my the razor guard. i quickly told him not to hold it like that, before i could finish the sentence, the razor came down across his knuckles and sliced him open real bad..

he couldnt work for two weeks after that.. i touched up the razor on my strop and each time i went to shave with it i just could not get the accident out of my mind and never used it since..

that was a bad day.
marc
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

I have a KAI Captain (folding). Holds the same razors as the AC's, but has a better look to my eyes (a bit cleaner). The KAI blades are great as well (particularly the "sharpblades"). About like a Feather Pro, but smoother.
--Josh
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

JPDyson wrote:I have a KAI Captain (folding). Holds the same razors as the AC's, but has a better look to my eyes (a bit cleaner). The KAI blades are great as well (particularly the "sharpblades"). About like a Feather Pro, but smoother.
The blades sit about 0.5mm deeper in the KAI than they do in the Feather razor. Because of this, you cannot use the Feather Light blades in the KAI.