Proraso pre shave

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Seraphim

Proraso pre shave

Post by Seraphim »

OK, so maybe more of a "general" shaving topic, but since I'm a straight user, I care about the impact it has on a straight shave in particular.

Number one- this stuff has plenty of menthol in it. And I am not a menthol fan....at all. Smells too much like BenGay on my face for me to like it.

That said- I recieved this tub as a gift from a friend when I was in Osaka last year. I tried it once while extremely hung over, and had a really great shave, but hated the smell. I though perhaps the great shave may have been due to my spending a prolonged amount if time in the shower softening up the ol' whiskers....

So, it sat unused in my drawer for a year. I was going to PIF it, but decided to take it for a spin yesterday.

Slapped on a dash of the stuff and rubbed it around. My nostrils assailed by the menthol and eucalyptis...I couldn't even smell the TABAC I used to lather up with for the shave.

First pass-nice, as per usual for a WTG pass.

After splashing my face after pass #1, the cooling really kicked in. I was digging that.

Pass #2 (direct to ATG) went great. Seemed like perhaps some added glide, but I could tell that I was getting a very close shave as well. Much less need for any touchups than with my usual routine.

Aftershave application (Bayrum Limes and Peppercorn laced Lucido) had a nice zing, but no fire, a good indication of a damage free shave.

I shaved yesterday around 1pm(at the gym), what really surprised me was how smooth I still was when I awoke. It wasn't the razor-I was using a KAI with a blade I was using for the 9th time, and still the shave was markedly closer than any of the previous shaves.

All I can say is that this is one of the few shave products out there that will actually improve shave performance. I heartily recommend this stuff!

I won't waste any nice smelling soaps when using this, as the scent will not be able to penetrate the menthol fumes. But I'm looking forward to shaving using this stuff again next shave!
Blix

Post by Blix »

I love mine. I use it with all my soaps sometimes, but I'm considering getting a tub of the white aloe version as well.
Then I can yse the green with Proaso soap and Valobra Menthol, and the white for all others.
I love the menthol cooling though.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Does the white version also contain a generous amount of menthol? I like menthol, by the way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blix

Post by Blix »

brothers wrote:Does the white version also contain a generous amount of menthol? I like menthol, by the way.
AFAIK, the white version doesn't have any menthol, aloe vera and green tea is it's "selling points". I love the menthol as well, but I hope the performance is just as good.
brothers

Re: Proraso pre shave

Post by brothers »

Seraphim wrote:All I can say is that this is one of the few shave products out there that will actually improve shave performance. I heartily recommend this stuff! . . . . But I'm looking forward to shaving using this stuff again next shave!
That's high praise, indeed! Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

I have used Proraso with some customers for years now and I totally agree that it can and does improve shave performance.

I apply a hot towel on the face first to remove the dirt and oils and then apply Proraso placing another hot towel over it for 3 minutes. I then remove the Proraso and begin applying lather.

Customers seem to have a love/ hate relationship with Proraso but only because of the menthol aroma. I love it simply because it works so well and it certainly works much better than
some of the other high priced pre-shaves on the market.

If you dont mind the menthol aroma it's a fantastic product.