1st Honed Razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Books

1st Honed Razor

Post by Books »

This weekend I started and finished honing my first razor.
A Wade & Butcher 5/8ths Bow I picked up on the cheap.

It was in good shape, blade need just a bit of sanding but no pitting...

I set the bevel with 1k sandpaper, then moved up to a 4k/8k Norton.
I thought I was done, but after a shave test, I had to go back to the 8k once for an additional 25 laps. Now 2 shaves in on this blade and this thing shaves so smooth.... :D
Bob
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Your a natural! It isn't always that easy for the rest of us. 8)
Books

Post by Books »

It's taken a bit of work to get this far and I'm still working on getting my rolling x stroke down (I tend to be too light on the heel). But it's comming along.

I've been learning how to hone from Randydance over on SRP. He lives close by so I've taken advantage of his generosity and gone over there quite a bit.

I've set the bevel on some razors, and worked on finishing the edge on others, but this is just the first one that I've done start to finish.
Bob
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

Yep. I've visited Randy a few times. He's very helpful. Even let me have some of his Alraz shaving cream. Actually, he's let me borrow a coticule and two mystery hones to try to replace my bad Norton 4k (I've got the two combo stones (220-8,000)).
Lover of cold, hard steel.
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're a lucky guy to be able to have an in-person honing teacher. That's great!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444