Looking for a "Starter Kit"

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
mattyb240

Looking for a "Starter Kit"

Post by mattyb240 »

Hi all, I have been shaving with a de for several months now and am very pleased with the results. I am considering the move up to straight razors.

I have found this kit: http://www.shaving-shack.com/cuthroat-o ... r-kit.html

Although I don't need the brush the price seems reasonable? Does anybody no much about the razor in the link? Initial reviews I have found seem positive.

Also what is the price of a beginner hone? Is there certain qualities I should be looking for? Ideally I would like to buy the razor, strop, paste, and hone for under £100. Is this unrealistic?

Kind regards,

Matt
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

You're learning two things, how to shave with a straight and how to prepare a straight. I found it necessary to separate those two learning processes.

I recommend getting a starter straight and having it professionally honed and then just buying a leather strop. Then you can concentrate on learning to shave with a properly prepared straight.

Then once you can use the thing effectively you can start fiddling with hones and pasted strops etc.

For me this was two distinct skills that I had to separate to be able to learn properly.

Scott
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Scott is spot on with his advise about keeping these two learning processes separate. Otherwise you are apt to get frustrated if an improperly honed razor won't shave for you.

I would also suggest getting a used razor that has been freshly honed by someone experienced with hones as your first straight. There are lots of places to pick these sorts of razors up at very reasonable costs and IMO many of the vintage razors shave better than entry level new straights. They also have a lot more character.
-Stephen
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't realised about it being two different art forms but now I see it. Can you suggest a "good" vintage razor? I love the idea of the character behind it?
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I have found almost any old German razor from Solingen makes a great shaver. Alternately, being from the UK you might find pleasure with a Sheffield blade. Just stay away from the big wedges for your first razor as they are a little more difficult to use. A more hollow ground Sheffield blade like a Joseph Rodgers might serve you well.
-Stephen
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

ScottB wrote:You're learning two things, how to shave with a straight and how to prepare a straight. I found it necessary to separate those two learning processes.

I recommend getting a starter straight and having it professionally honed and then just buying a leather strop. Then you can concentrate on learning to shave with a properly prepared straight.

Then once you can use the thing effectively you can start fiddling with hones and pasted strops etc.

For me this was two distinct skills that I had to separate to be able to learn properly.

Scott
+1 Good advice here.

I am not completely sure about the Salter razors but I think they are Timors which can be hit or miss in steel quality but again I am not sure. I do know that I have honed several Timors for folks that were real dogs in steel quality that I would personally stay away from.

If you want the best possible value for the money I recommend the Dovo Best Quality razors with no frills. They are the best quality razor for the money and they will easily give multiple lifetimes of service if properly maintained. The old Solingens are also excellent choices.

Chris
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

Well its fair to say I'm overwhelmed by choice! I do like the look of some of the older blades but most are saying the blades are pitted? Is this the end of the world for a razor?