Serial or repetitive

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Serial or repetitive

Post by brothers »

Is either of these practices more or less common among SR users?
  • 1. Using the same straight razor over and over again for several days in a row, how many days in a row? I was thinking maybe I should try using one over and over again so I can quantify how many shaves it'll provide before the edge has to be refreshed. (given proper stropping, etc. before/after each use)

2. Using a SR for only one shave then changing to a different one for the next shave? This seems a little more confusing, unless I want to take the trouble to keep a written log or something. (I don't.)
Why, or why not? I guess it really doesn't matter, if I just pay attention to how well a razor's working and have enough sense to be able to tell when the shave's starting to deteriorate to the point of needing some attention. But this method does seem to be a bit disorganized and random.

I might even decide a certain razor is really good or really not so good if I just stick with it over a period of time.

Here's something else I think might occur. If I concentrate shaving on one razor then obviously that razor is going to require more work and incur more wear. That's what our grandfathers had to face with one razor and a hone. Wearing out a good razor that's used exclusively by using and honing it all the time. We've all seen those old workhorse razors.

I see it like this: 10 razors used in regular rotation require periodic honing of all at the same time. 1 razor used all the time will require honing 10 times more often than 10 razors that only get honed 2, 3, or more times a year.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Mostly I just grab the one that looks like it would be fun. I get bored using the same razor repeatedly just to see how long the edge will last. Some times I will select two and use them alternately as if they are competing so it will be less boring.

Maybe a lot of the hone wear on worn out vintage razors was caused by poor honing skills; like honing too much, too hard, wrong grit, etc. Just a guess on my part.
brothers

Post by brothers »

matt321 wrote:Mostly I just grab the one that looks like it would be fun. I get bored using the same razor repeatedly just to see how long the edge will last.

I figure a lot of the hone wear on worn out vintage razors was caused by poor honing skills; like honing too much, too hard, wrong grit, etc. Just a guess on my part.
No doubt. The farmers just had the one hone, probably used it to sharpen everything from the axe in the shed to the hoes that their kids used to chop cotton, and had no instructions. My granddad had a big wheel about 2 feet in diameter that was spun around in some fashion by a crank or pedal or something. I think it was used to sharpen plows or something. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some guys used one of those to sharpen their kitchen knives and their one and only razor. What you said is exactly what I'm talking about. Good point.

Edit: I'd like to add this. I've got some metal files in the garage that I use to sharpen my lawnmower blade and my grandfather's axe that I use. If I was a poor farmer 120 years ago, and had a metal file, I am certain that I'd be using it (gently, I hope) to keep my pocket knife and my razor as sharp as I could.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, this is an interesting discussion and it reminds me of all the little tidbits that folks have offered over the years describing what they've heard people in the old days did to keep a razor sharp. I've heard of using glass as well as the porcelain toilette tank/lid etc. I remember when I read a lot of these thinking that there were a lot of make-shift approaches tried just to cut the cost of paying a barber to do it proper. Who knows what else has been tried but I think it might be true that a lot of the more well worn razors probably went through a lot of new honing approaches to achieve their well worn look.

I myself switch when the mood hits me, and I've been using one razor for pretty much most of the last few months. I do sometimes mark my calender when I hone a blade if I happen to be in a particularly long stretch with it. Been doing that for years just to give me an idea of how long the edge lasts.

When I was about 12 I started with one straight and used it for about 10 to 15 years exclusively. I then bought about two other straights to try (I can still remember walking into Herder's cutlery in the Willow Grove Mall to buy each of them). I used the second of the two, a red-handled Dovo Bismarck, for the next 5 to 8 years exclusively. It was during this time I started to investigate different honing mediums and experiment with pastes etc. Up to this point I was using the same hone, a borrowed Arkansas stone, to do every honing. I honed about once every 6 months and I shaved daily. What surprises me is that I now hone closer to every month or month and a half. My only thoughts on that are that this is probably due to picking up the technique of making several passes instead of just one pass while shaving. The blade spends significantly more time exposed to wetness etc which probably speeds wear.

It's a fascinating journey and I'm enjoying it very much. Whatever approach you take, Gary, make it something you'll enjoy doing.

Chris
Last edited by EL Alamein on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

personally I use Gillette Guard/4 different DE/1SE/2 str8 razors..all in my rotation for facial variety :shock:
Personally I believe 1 razor makes my hair growth a little different different than the razor before it

ST
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I have three straights that I rotate through switching daily. I have started to touch-up hone all three about the same time--each a little differently to experiment.
Ron
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

My razors are carefully stored away so it's a hassle to get a different razor for each shave. I use one - maybe two - per week.

I know someone who owns one straight razor and uses it every day. By properly using the leather and linen strops regularly, he hones the razor once or twice a year.
giammi

Post by giammi »

I rotate daily and set aside those razors, that need a touch up or some rehoning.
When I have like 5-6 razors, then I do a honing session.
I then shave multiple times with each of those razors, as a quality assurance.
If all is good, then back to daily routine otherwise the bad razor is put aside for the
next honing session.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio