Gentlemen, a physical problem and I need to vent

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Hawkeye5

Gentlemen, a physical problem and I need to vent

Post by Hawkeye5 »

I've had one of life's little curve balls thrown.

I have stress induced Arterial Filtration diagnosed last October. I just happened to go to a screening sponsored by my church and that was where it was discovered (my wife was in the hospital at the time for Pancreatic cancer surgery).

My beloved wife had a kidney transplant (almost four years ago now) and our lives have been simply upturned. Let's just say all has not been the smooth path so often reported in the press .

But, and this is of the utmost importance, had she not had the transplant my dear wife would be dead. No question. For that I am grateful.

For those of you who don't know Afib is, as my least favorite cardiologist described (some what gleefully it seemed to me) as the upper heart muscles turning to Jello. (how nice) Well, he's from NY, what the #@&% should I expect?

So, on to the problem as it relates to shaving.

I now have a tremor. Not a serous shake by any means, but enough that I'm hesitant to shave with a straight more than one pass as it seem to get worse as I move through the shave. My left hand in particular seems
to be effected. There is a slight lateral movement I can't control. I don't need to tell you guys what that might do.

I also seem to have difficulty with the ATG as I can't stop the tremble and must go very lightly, if at all.

Frankly, lately I've set down the straight and picked up the DE to finish. Even then, there has been some problem with the ATG pass.

So, I'm stymied. As the saying goes, I don't know whether to shit or go blind. And don't tell me to shave with my right hand only, I refuse. I worked to hard learning to use my left hand. (hard-headed). Plus I doubt it would make any difference.

I'm going to discuss changes in medication and also ablasion, a surgical procedure, with my doctor. Right now I'm just frustrated and needed to vent. No where else to go, so you guys get my frustration.
John
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

If your hand and eye coordination in anyway is affected..by all means take a break for awhile..but don't give up the fact that YOUR hands WILL know how to wield a straight when you go back to using them..I have also taken a break from my str8 razors in the past..now am getting comfortable to using them unless I am too tired to focus on...I therefore reach to my drawer and either use a DE OR Gillette Guard
(On Ebay as I found them plenty)
Take time off from your str8 razors(s) and wait to see what the future shows for your ability in this department of your life (shaving)..I wish you best of luck and best wishes and know your health issues WILL get better as you MUST think positive...always

ST
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Bummer that. You will just have to work it out somehow. If you end up with a cartridge razor at least you will still have the wet shaving skills learned for the straight.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

John, I for one say vent any time....thats what friends are here for :lol:

if using both your hands is a big issue to you, why not put the atg on the sacrificial block?........one pass shaving is the beeeez neeez anyway :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ready to listen anytime John, take care and keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't blame you for blowing off steam John. Like one guy said, maybe if we can see bad news as a puzzle to be solved, instead of a problem to worry about, then it helps keep a positive attitude. I have confiidence you can figure it out. Meanwhile, we'll be thinking of you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

RE: your tremor, ask your DR about Primadone, it worked well for my wife, others can't take it. It is worth asking about.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My father struggled with genetic tremors/shaking and ended up simply moving to an electric because he knew he couldn't injure himself with it. It's one of those decisions, which you sometimes just have to make.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Well, with all that is going on in the world my little problem doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I'll just quit feeling sorry for myself, try to see if there is a different medication, and innovate, adapt, and overcome.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.
John
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

look at the positive: maybe you can now do more passes of the type you are able to do and don't worry about atg. do a couple of enjoyable passes you can do. wish the best for you and your wife
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

I would merely stick with DE and don't worry about the Against the Grain passes. My philosopy.... leave some whiskers there for seed. Get 'em next time.
Vern

I was born with nothing and I've managed to keep most of it.
malocchio

no where else to go

Post by malocchio »

having some medical problems myself,I can understand your frustration,but you do have this forum as a "place to go",and I am hoping you have at least a few family members to help you out..hope you get medication that will help you,and in the realm of things ,your shaving tools are far removed from what really counts,your health...rapid healing to you brother...