Finally got a straight...

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
ksteryous

Finally got a straight...

Post by ksteryous »

Hey guys,

I've been away from SMF for quite some time now, happily shaving along with my DE, but I finally broke down and got a straight razor.

I got a Dovo classic from Classic Shaving and I got the one that was pre-honed. I also ordered a leather strop (Illinois Strop #827), but it didn't arrive until a couple of days later. BUT, I couldn't wait, and so I shaved right away. I managed to only nick myself once, and that was on the left side with my left hand.

But, there seemed to be a lot of skipping and tugging, and I'm sure some of that is technique, but I also think some of that may be due to the lack of a strop.

So, my strop arrived, but when I first ordered it I didn't know anything about pastes. So, I've been trying to strop my blade on a dry strop. My next two shaves were much better, but I still feel like I'm missing something (still some tugging and skipping) with the lack of a paste.

So, my question is this, is there anything I can do in the meantime while I read up more and decide on which paste to order?

Is there any sort of homemade paste I can make? Would it be absolutely crazy to put a normal leather dressing (something like pekards) on the strop? Is it possible to get a satisfactory result on a dry strop?

By the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed my first few shaves....just trying to figure out the best way to go at certain parts of the face without slicing something off.

Regards,
Kenton
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kenton, a new and recently honed razor won't need a pasted strop any time soon. The dry strop is what you need. Some guys recommend a cotton or linen strop (one probably came with your Illinois 827) in conjunction with the leather strop. Stropping generally is done just after and/or before a shave.

Pastes are commercially prepared substances (most contain fine abrasives) that are used by some guys, and omitted by others. Pastes are generally used at the end of the sharpening (honing) process after the razor has become dull and has received a new edge. Pastes are also used by some guys in conjunction with the stropping after the razor's been in use for several shaves, but still has some useful life left in the edge before it's time for honing, while it's possible to refresh the edge.

Some guys renew their strops periodically with neatsfoot oil/compound, or saddle soap, if they appear to be drying or possibly becoming less than fully flexible. Strops need to be rubbed by hand as often as they are used, so the oil from the skin can help keep the strop flexible.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Congrats on your str8 razor gear!...wait about 3-4 months I would say..depending on how often you will shave with it...when it starts to "tug and pull"..and you KNOW your lather and technique is fine..then pasted strop will be needed..green diamond paste works best..I would say...strop 1 dozen times..should help out to get a bunch more shaves before a rehone..I send mine out every 6 months..I use DE/Gillette Guard also in my rotation as well..meh..I like variety in my shave gear :lol:

ST
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Repeating some of the above...

Most guys keep a strop for daily use with no pastes added. That strop would have a fabric component and a leather component. You should do about 25 or more laps on each component before every shave. A few laps after the shave will help insure the cutting edge is clean and dry. If you want to experiment with Chrome Oxide compounds or other abrasive strop pastes, you should get a seperate strop for that purpose.

Strop conditioners like Neatsfoot oil or saddle soap can be used on strops that seem dry or dirty. I prefer rubbing on shaving lather and let it dry and then wipe off the residue. You should not need these for a new strop for a year or so. Sometimes treating a strop with Neatsfoot oil changes the draw for the worse. Especially if too much is used!

It sounds like you razor was honed by an expert. Even so, some day you will likely be able to do better yourself. You can experiment and test to your hearts content, whereas the pro can't spend as much time with it and must rely on quick but proven methods.

When everything is working right the well honed straight should feel about like a DE with a fresh blade or close anyway.
Last edited by matt321 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

By the way....welcome back! 8)
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Thanks everyone for the replies...sounds like I'm ok for now with just my plain strop.

The more I'm reading and searching, the more questions I have...seems like most of you guys rotate your razors. Is that for the same reasons that one might rotate their brushes for variety's sake, or does the blade actually do better with a "break" between uses?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The one blade will do nicely, we rotate because we can. Having just one razor is like trying to eat just one potato chip.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Kenton, what you are describing with the skipping etc sounds like the standard experience of someone just starting out. It's mainly due to technique with the razor. Once you nail down the "confident" stroke the problem will begin to go away. Straights require more motor skill and more concentration than safety's because you have to keep the blade from skipping by holding the angle correct all they way through the stroke. You also have to use a relatively steep angle and very little pressure. Combine this with the rest of the advice received here, keep practicing and you'll get there.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Getting there is worth the effort.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Thanks guys. Each shave is getting better, but then I got too confident and got careless and had my worst cut yet right under my bottom lip...I struggle with that area and upper lip the most anyway.

And by the way, Squire, I was hoping for a somewhat different answer as I had half convinced my wife that a second razor was indeed necessary, and not just another AD like I have with brushes, creams, soaps, etc.

Kenton
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kenton I'll be glad to send you a pm for her benefit. Something along the lines of the need for at least seven razors, one for each day of the week, as they must rest between shaves.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, by all means, one cannot have too many razors!
Gary