How do you fix a Cracked Blade???

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Gssixgun

How do you fix a Cracked Blade???

Post by Gssixgun »

Well I am not sure how you do it, but this is how I do it

Take one 8/8 George Savage Hollow grind, just a true olé beauty...

But hidden deep in the patina is a crack, if you look close in this before pic you can barely make it out.. :(

Here let me help you :D

Now I decide that instead of trying to hone that out :lol: I would do a bit of modifying to it Muhahahaha

This is the blade after some of them but not quite done, yet !!!

I had a set of the Snakeskin acrylic blanks from Phil over at Masecraft, that he had sent me a sample of to check out, and somehow it just seemed to fit with this razor.. "The Savage Baby Rattler" with all SS and Nickel Silver hardware and Brass bearing washers... The wedge is Honey Horn leftover from my last restore, I honed it up last night on my Coticule and shaved it this morning. I gave it a nice slight smile when I cleaned up all the chips on the edge and that combined with the short blade make this one a sweet razor for under the jawline

Hope you guys enjoy the pics, this is one that is going to be hard to send home to the owner :wink:
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Wow, that is a great job you did on that razor.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Glen, that blade came out very nice indeed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Peterz116

Post by Peterz116 »

Wow, really very impressive, can you tell us a bit more about your polishing process?

Thanks,
Peter
bob r

Re: How do you fix a Cracked Blade???

Post by bob r »

Gssixgun wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:32 pm Well I am not sure how you do it, but this is how I do it

Take one 8/8 George Savage Hollow grind, just a true olé beauty...

But hidden deep in the patina is a crack, if you look close in this before pic you can barely make it out.. :(

Here let me help you :D

Now I decide that instead of trying to hone that out :lol: I would do a bit of modifying to it Muhahahaha

This is the blade after some of them but not quite done, yet !!!

I had a set of the Snakeskin acrylic blanks from Phil over at Masecraft, that he had sent me a sample of to check out, and somehow it just seemed to fit with this razor.. "The Savage Baby Rattler" with all SS and Nickel Silver hardware and Brass bearing washers... The wedge is Honey Horn leftover from my last restore, I honed it up last night on my Coticule and shaved it this morning. I gave it a nice slight smile when I cleaned up all the chips on the edge and that combined with the short blade make this one a sweet razor for under the jawline

Hope you guys enjoy the pics, this is one that is going to be hard to send home to the owner :wink:

if it makes it easier on you, you can send it to me and avoid the dilemma sending it back to the owner? just a thought 😁
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ah, but some people make a living out of straight razor repairs...
Ever notice the address used for classicshaving.com re-scaling?

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:45 am Ah, but some people make a living out of straight razor repairs...
Ever notice the address used for classicshaving.com re-scaling?

C.
I just checked Classicshaving for the first time in a long time just to see what you were referring to and I see what you mean now.

I tell you I was surprised at how Classicshaving is a mere shadow of it's former self. Nothing like it used to be with all the best brands and service. Now it's just mostly their proprietary offerings. Not saying those aren't good as I've never tried them (nor am I inclined to) but the range of choices are almost all gone. What a shame as it used to be one of the best places around.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, it's been trashed and Ray would be saddened. I got a spam e-mail from the new owner inviting me join him in his exciting new wristwatch venture! The post above would be deleted as self-advertisement by a vendor if it was made today, but back in 2011 I think Glen was working for himself........and light dawns in this old brain. It should have been deleted or moved to Shopping even then as he was doing it for profit even then, just not for Classic Shaving's profit.
Well, better late than never, this is going to Shopping.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:45 am Yes, it's been trashed and Ray would be saddened. I got a spam e-mail from the new owner inviting me join him in his exciting new wristwatch venture! The post above would be deleted as self-advertisement by a vendor if it was made today, but back in 2011 I think Glen was working for himself........and light dawns in this old brain. It should have been deleted or moved to Shopping even then as he was doing it for profit even then, just not for Classic Shaving's profit.
Well, better late than never, this is going to Shopping.
Wristwatch adventure? I never thought of my wristwatch as an adventurous thing.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"Venture"! The only adventure would be in the profits made from people buying large flashy watches that make them feel good about themselves.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:47 am "Venture"! The only adventure would be in the profits made from people buying large flashy watches that make them feel good about themselves.
Definitely a sign I'm getting old :)