Enjoying the straight razor shave

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Enjoying the straight razor shave

Post by brothers »

I'm experiencing something a bit new to me. I recently used a DE razor and blade exclusively for almost 3 weeks, as I was testing one blade against another. When the blade project finally came to an end, I was very happy to resume my every-other-day rotation between DE and SRs. No doubt, there are differences between the feel of the shaves produced by the two, not better or worse, just different. And all I can say is how much I enjoy the straight razor shave experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Straight razor shaves can be really nice when everything is right.

I can't compare much to a DE cuz I haven't used one in over 40 years.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt, I think in my case, it's a healthy thing, using both kinds. The differences keep my interest up. Right now, I'm not interested in giving up either one, but as I pointed out, this is the first time I remember feeling so good about anticipating and experiencing the SR shave after more than a couple of days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I read these kinds of threads, and keep repeating to myself -- "One of these days. One of these days ....." :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Using a safety razor is getting rid of whiskers, but using a straight is shaving.

Sorry, but it's true.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

For someone who suffered with irritation when using DEs and cartridges, straight razor shaving is the only way to shave.
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's an excellent point. Some folks might think straight razors would be apt to cause problems, but once all of the technique and tools are in good order, it's just the opposite.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Oh my goodness -- -I am oh, so tempted -- but the doggone start-up cost keeps me out of the game ....

Not to mention the fear of wielding a razor-sharp edge around my neck ..... it scares the living daylights out of my wife ..... and therefore ..... :wink:
Wendell

TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

jww wrote:Oh my goodness -- -I am oh, so tempted -- but the doggone start-up cost keeps me out of the game ....

Not to mention the fear of wielding a razor-sharp edge around my neck ..... it scares the living daylights out of my wife ..... and therefore ..... :wink:
When I started years ago, I spent a lot of money on equipment but it was out of ignorance. All I needed was one or two razors, a latigo strop, and a coticule bout. You can get very good razors on eBay or antique stores for $20-$40. A quality strop from KenRup is about $40 and the Super Shave sells bouts for all prices.

If you're getting quality shaves from a Silver Tech and Derby blades, for example, then you might not have much of an incentive to change. But as for me, I ain't goin' back! :D
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yeah well, that's the thing -- my trusty gold undated Tech and a feather does a fabulous job, so it's kinda difficult in my mind to even think of justifying another $150 on shaving equipment. This isn't about fending off RAD, it's about whether I really need to spend the money, and I have to be honest, I really don't.

But I will continue to swoon and think on it until I crack or just forget about it.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh you'll be ok Wendell, so long as you don't start waking up at night hearing the razors whispering your name.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my case, I haven't had anything I wanted to spend for, since a few years back I restored an old car. That's not cheap, and of course I am a working guy and didn't do it to impress, I just did it because I can do body work on old cars. I never got into guns, or cameras or electronics or boats, bikes, pipes, getting rich, chasing women 8) , you name it. So I've had an interest, and a really cheap one. So I've bought some stuff and sold some stuff, and along the way I've learned the mysteries of the straight razor shave my grandfathers knew. It's been a richly rewarding source of enjoyment and personal satisfaction for me.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have always enjoyed my straight shaves, but it's been a while since I had one. I get great shaves either way, but I find straight shaves more satisfying. The thing I haven't done is learn to hone, and I really want to do that before I go back to straight shaving so that I can be self-sufficient. I have a coticule and a finishing hone, so I just need to read and learn. The time investment has not happened, and I can blame all sorts of life circumstances, but I carry enough actual guilt without creating guilt over my lack of honing skill and then trying to excuse said guilt.

Which is a long way to say that sometime soon I plan to take out my hones and an inexpensive straight I have and learn to make it sharp and keep it so into perpetuity.

Because the straight shave is a fine thing indeed.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Gene

Post by Gene »

I'm in the same boat as Wendell, for all the same reasons.

I promised my wife I would hold off on a straight, but it is oh so tempting.

What I DID do was buy one of those pseudo-straight things at Sally's, and play with that. There was a thread about this last March. Blade was too harsh for my tastes, but I did get to practise my technique by using this thing without a blade and "shaving" to understand the grip, etc.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

I like them both, straights get the edge for a nice experience but i'm glad to have a few D.E.s for traveling or evenings when i'm tired and its late.
stagger

Post by stagger »

My usual shave is done with a Gillette Tech but on special days I go with the straight. I enjoy the straight shave more and it is a closer shave for me. In addition to getting a more satisfying shave, I think I mainly enjoy the fact that I can shave the way my great grandaddy did.
Regards,
Mark -