Advice

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
shavedhead

Advice

Post by shavedhead »

My Dovo straight is dull and I can not get it shaving sharp anymore. I have a Norton Waterstone Extra Fine, Extra Extra Fine, and a 13,000 grit ceramic stone to finish. I use an x pattern in my sharpening and nothing is working. Could this be overhoning and any advice would be nice. How many strokes do I need to perform on each stone. Thx
Have a wonderful shaving day
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Just curious, is this your Norton:

Tell us more about the 13K ceramic.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've just spent between 2 and 3 years and more than a few bucks learning the hard way how to achieve a shaving edge that I can depend on and be proud of. I wish there was a fast and simple answer, but in my case, it was neither. It's worth a million to me now that it's behind me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

The first thing you will have to do is establish an edge that will cut arm hair all along the edge. In order to set the bevel, you'll need a hone in the neighorhood of 1000 grit. Then you can move up to the Norton 4K/8K, and maybe even to the 13000 ceramic hone you mention. Obviously, you will or you have already been reading just about everything on the shaving forums about hones and honing. Even more obviously, you should read Chris Moss's article on SMF's home page about a dozen times over, just to get on the right track. Then you've got that big old YMMV bugaboo hanging over your head. I hope you love it as much as I did, and are a fast learner with good instincts about the relationship between the steel and the stones.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

I agree with Gary and I just add this: go lightly with the razor over the stones. No pressure.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
pinklather

Post by pinklather »

+1 on Gary's input.

I have no natural talent at it, so that means I have to work my tail off, doing alot of blades. #243 was finished last night. I'll feel better when its 10x that.

Assumptions: your stones are clean, lapped flat, and chamfered. Bevel is really really really set, and already shaves arm hair at skin level w/ no pressure. If this is not the case, your bevel is not well set.

Use diamond plate to raise slurry on your 4k norton (I use one also, but use Nani 8k). Do 30-40 circles on each side of the edge, in each direction (clockwise, counterCW). 20 x-strokes, paying keen attention to any portion of the edge that feels slightly scratchy or gives resistance to the stroke the other sections of the edge do not give. If a scratchy section persists, I do 20 more circles on each side, watching the water on the surface of the stone, making sure the section in question is the part making contact, 20 more x-strokes. When the edge is uniformly smooth across the whole edge on both sides, rinse stone (remove slurry), repeat 20 circles and x-strokes with water only.

Repeat the process on the 8k, but use no pressure beyond the weight of the blade. The exception is if the edge has some warp or wave. If warp, I'll do 15 or so circles and x-strokes, using just enough pressure to have the edge fully contact the stone - no more. Then the same amount of circles and stroke with no pressure to address the sections of edge that are in contact. This is big: if you can't get a smooth, comfortable shave from your 8k stone - there is no reason to go further. Fixing any underperforming sections was described on the 4k process. circles, x-strokes.

Keep at it. Stop when you get frustrated, keep your sense of humor handy.

Best of luck, Shavedhead
pinklather

Shavedhead - any progress?

Post by pinklather »

'Just checking to see if you're back to getting good shaves.

If you'd like a hand w/ the edge, just pick up return postage - will gladly hone for free.