I recommend getting a Clauss if you can

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

I recommend getting a Clauss if you can

Post by brothers »

If anyone's been wanting a vintage Made in USA straight razor, check out a Clauss if you get the opportunity. I just want to say that my Clauss round tip is right up there with the best of 'em. It's a 6/8 full hollow and is cut much the same as the old USMC razor, but doesn't have the letters embossed into it. It takes and holds an edge as well as any I've got, and is always a shave I look forward to.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I've wanted a good 6/8 one for a while now. Came close a couple times on the bay. Another fine, vintage U.S. brand.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have a beautiful 5/8 spike point that I bought from a fellow forumite.

I really need to learn to hone.

I have my hones laid out at home, and with some medically-induced sitting time on the horizon (ankle surgery next Thursday), I think I'll be able to take myself through some preliminary practice.

Oh, the Clauss shaves beautifully, by the way.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ajsaxs

Post by ajsaxs »

Picked up a Clauss Barbers Special 5/8 spike the other day.

Excellent shaver.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I used my Clauss 5/8 this morning. What a smooth shave. I was a bit rusty, having not used a straight in months, but things went swimmingly. 20 laps on linen and 60 on leather; the edge was right as rain. Not quite an effortless shave, but certainly effortless strokes to wipe away the whiskers. I have used the razor only sparingly, so it makes sense that the edge is still in good shape. I had just neglected it, a mistake I won't be making again. I plan to use this razor quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
pinklather

+1

Post by pinklather »

I finished honing the first near wedge Clauss I've seen. It will be a gift for a friend that's wanting to learn the str8. He has heavy timber for beard, so I thought a heavy grind was in order.

It shaved beautifully. Friendly, smooth, takes a good edge.

I have a couple of the hollows waiting for cleanup and a ride on the rocks. PM me if you have trouble finding one.