What oil is best for short/long term razor storage?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

What oil is best for short/long term razor storage?

Post by brothers »

I've used Hoppe's gun oil, and since that ran out, I've used a few drops of WD-40, but it's not oil. Now I've got a full unopened quart of military surplus LSA (Lubricant-Small Arms) I've been intending to use. What are your thoughts regarding the regular use of this on my razors, or is there something better? If LSA's not going to work, I need to know why not? Will it hurt the razors?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Vaseline. It provides a seal against moisture and thus corrosion. It pretty much seals out everything. It doesn't react with the metal and it stays on forever. This is how I store the few razors I have in long term storage and it works flawlessly.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Remington Gun oil, but I expect most any brand would do, that's just what I happen to have.
Regards,
Squire
paddy

Post by paddy »

given that there are some unused razors that have survived from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s until now in perfect mint condition and with the application of no oil or vaseline, is the application of oil necessary or desirable to preserve a razor?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not always Paddy, but I live in a hot, humid climate and things rust here.
Regards,
Squire
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Old school patrolman's trick was to put car wax or clear shoe polish on his blued revolver. Put it on and buff it off.

Ok, I'm a 15 year LEO but a non straight owning peruser of this subforum.
yeah and I'm too young to have ever been issued a blued S&W. :oops: not by that much though.
Tom
Tim Zowada

Post by Tim Zowada »

I like Ballistol.
brothers

Re: What oil is best for short/long term razor storage?

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:I've used Hoppe's gun oil, and since that ran out, I've used a few drops of WD-40, but it's not oil. Now I've got a full unopened quart of military surplus LSA (Lubricant-Small Arms) I've been intending to use. What are your thoughts regarding the regular use of this on my razors, or is there something better? If LSA's not going to work, I need to know why not? Will it hurt the razors?
I appreciate the advice guys. It's been two years now, and the LSA seems to be working quite weil on my razors. Some are in a regular rotation, and some are in long term storage. I have one that sat for about a year and a half with the LSA on it, and it wiped right off and had done it's job well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Adley_8

Post by Adley_8 »

Thanks for the post!
pundi64

Re:

Post by pundi64 »

Squire wrote:Not always Paddy, but I live in a hot, humid climate and things rust here.
Yes same where I live, in Thailand :(
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:
brothers wrote:I've used Hoppe's gun oil, and since that ran out, I've used a few drops of WD-40, but it's not oil. Now I've got a full unopened quart of military surplus LSA (Lubricant-Small Arms) I've been intending to use. What are your thoughts regarding the regular use of this on my razors, or is there something better? If LSA's not going to work, I need to know why not? Will it hurt the razors?
I appreciate the advice guys. It's been two years now, and the LSA seems to be working quite weil on all of my razors. Some are in a regular rotation, and some are in long term storage. I have one that sat for about a year and a half with the LSA on it, and it wiped right off and had done it's job well.
Following up after yet another two years has flown by. The LSA still works great after 4 years and a straight razor rotation of about 14 of my favorite razors. As I posted earlier, I bought a full unused quart of it and I've only used an ounce or so. It'll last far beyond my active shaving days.
Gary