Jumping BACK into straights

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Silb3r

Jumping BACK into straights

Post by Silb3r »

After a two year hiatus and not giving them a proper chance I'm trying my hand at shaving with a straight razor again.

I enjoyed the ritual tremendously. Unfortunately I think the only razor I tried had a bum hone job and I was in graduate school at the time so my focus was elsewhere.

Also--a big thing--I was washing my face twice a day and, even before straight shaving, had horrible breakouts. I always felt like the blade was dragging each hair out kicking and screaming. Since then I've really dialed back using any soap on my face; I typically just splash some water on it twice a day and my skin is 100% clear now. I'm hoping this will smooth things along.

So I purchased a budget-priced custom blade from B&B along with a Tony Miller strop. I even managed to take advantage of his "Cyber Monday" special!

Anyhow, I look forward to sharing my second round progress and hopefully making a permanent switch!

-Michael
pinklather

Post by pinklather »

Hey, Silb.

Like many, I found pronouncements of 'shave ready' vary somewhat :)

Hopefully the 'budget custom' (??) will have a fine edge and help your get back to business. If stropping is also new, you might consider saving that Tony Miller strop for a few more months down the road. Unless its already been adorned w/ nicks, those are really nice, premium strops. 'Hate to hack it up. (can you tell I sucked at stropping when I started?)

If your first blade needs re-honing - pm me. Just pick up return postage cost (typically about $2.75 w/ bubble pack mailer) and I'll gladly hone.

Keep posting on how it goes.
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

When you say B&B do you mean the Forum, as in a shave ready razor from an enthusiast over there, or is this a B&B brand razor ????
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Welcome! Great to hear of someone adopting the custom. Take small steps, only do a little at a time until you get comfortable with doing it all.

Post pics of your stuff and good luck!

Chris
Silb3r

Post by Silb3r »

pinklather wrote:If stropping is also new, you might consider saving that Tony Miller strop for a few more months down the road . . . If your first blade needs re-honing - pm me. Just pick up return postage cost (typically about $2.75 w/ bubble pack mailer) and I'll gladly hone.
Now that you mention it, I recall having this same issue with the first Tony Miller strop I bought! I just sent him an email asking whether it's too late to include a practice strop with my order; hopefully I can squeeze one of those into the package. Thank you for the reminder and your kind offer!
Gssixgun wrote:When you say B&B do you mean the Forum, as in a shave ready razor from an enthusiast over there, or is this a B&B brand razor ????
I do mean B&B the forum! It's actually a razor from Seraphim. I haven't been hanging around the straight sub-forums much lately but I know he is highly regarded and his work looks outstanding. I did some quick research prior to purchasing the "Gatorback"--the last straight listed in this B/S/T thread on B&B. It's actually sitting in my mailbox as I type this but I'm not home to enjoy it yet, which is just as good because I don't have a proper strop.

Thank you for the replies and encouragement gentlemen, I will surely post some beauty pics of my gear--I know I can never get enough shaving pics :D
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

Good to hear,,, Craig can hone and you will have a great edge...

There were some B&B brand blades being sold on the auction sites that shall we say were more razor shaped objects rather than real razors :)
Always Very Respectfully

Glen