Trying to transition from a DE to a straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The strop will do it's work at whatever speed you're comfortable with.
Regards,
Squire
myersn024

Post by myersn024 »

Stropping is the one part of the whole process that gives me some cause for concern. Based on advice I've received from at least two people, I think I'm going to start with the strop laid on a table until I get the hang of the stroke-and-flip. Once I'm accustomed to that, I'll try it with the strop hanging from the hook.
myersn024

Post by myersn024 »

Don't mean to double post, but I wanted to let everyone know how my first real straight shave went. Aside from a weeper or two, everything went great. It took a few minutes to get used to the length of the blade compared to the shavette. Once I was over that, everything went well. There's definitely a learning curve, and it will take a little while to figure out the best way to approach my shave... especially my neck. The hair on my neck grows upward, so a WTG pass involves upward strokes on my neck up to my jawline. When I switched to a safety razor, it took a few shaves to get everything figured out, and I'm sure this will be the same. However, if anyone has any advice on how to approach a situation like mine, I'm all ears.

After the shave, I stropped the razor on the strop I bought from WhippedDog.com. I was a little nervous about the process, but afterward the razor still popped hairs off my arm like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks again to Capt for the loaner razor and the Bay Rum aftershave sample. That stuff is awesome!
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Congratulations on your first shave with
a straight. Each shave will get a little easier
and in no time at all shaving your neck will
be no different than the cheeks.

The stropping will get easier and easier as well.

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

The only advice is the most obvious, just do it and keep at it, and over time it becomes second nature, and of course, it requires your undivided attention and focus every second.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

myersn024 wrote:Stropping is the one part of the whole process that gives me some cause for concern. Based on advice I've received from at least two people, I think I'm going to start with the strop laid on a table until I get the hang of the stroke-and-flip. Once I'm accustomed to that, I'll try it with the strop hanging from the hook.
Maybe give some consideration to a paddle strop. I prefer them and Tony Miller makes some nice ones.