Rehab for an ancient hone

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Rehab for an ancient hone

Post by brothers »

This weekend at the flea market turned up an old 7 x 1.5 x 6/8 hone. It was in a box of stuff where everything was a dollar. I've spotted a ton of hones at flea markets, but most of the time they're coarse stones, more suited to axes, plows, that kind of equipment, but this particular one is a different animal. It's ultra fine.

I think it might be a thuringian-type hone, or maybe an Arkansas, and is certainly the first and only one of that type I've ever seen at the flea market.

Of course, it has issues: it needs to be lapped in the worse way. It's probably a hundred or more years old. It's obviously never been lapped. There are 2 or 3 minor chips along the edge, and it's got all kinds of light marks, grooves, and visual irrregularities in the surface that will succomb to an enthusiastic lapping.

Here's what I like about it, the one thing that made me want it. It's buttery smooth to the touch. It's like touching suede. It reminds me of my Escher. I've got high hopes for this one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What color is it Gary?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, I'd call it gray or blue, or somewhere in between. Here are a few photos of the freshly cleaned and lapped hone in question. The photos were taken with natural and artificial light, with and without the flash. I think it's ready to be tested. The short sides still bear kerf marks, I suppose from being cut into the current shape.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Looks like a barber hone, which would also fit the size. IIRC, Ever Ready and another one with its name stuck on the tip of my tongue were that colour. If it is one of those, you'll find it's not so fine as you expect.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Any information is welcome. For the price, I'm delighted to have it around. I got the Swaty for the same price a few years back.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hmm, looks more like a Thuringen to me than a barber hone. I can't tell without actually holding it though. I thought barber hones had more width in most cases. Whatever it is, let us know how it performs.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a razor that needs the full treatment. When I get around to that project soon, I'll use this hone at some point in the process and see what happens.
Gary

randydance062449

Post by randydance062449 »

That appears to be a Thuringen. The test is what happens when you lap it.
If it is a Thuri/Escher type then it will give off a very fine powder and be very easy to lap.
Randy Tuttle
randydance@comcast.net
A mentor for the Minnesota area
brothers

Post by brothers »

WooHooo, it's a Thuri! It was exactly like that. Thanks Randy!
Gary

pinklather

Gary's gonna be a happy guy

Post by pinklather »

'Got my first thuri a few months back. The smoothness it imparts is wonderful. 'hope you enjoy that one alot!